Jun 15, 2014, 6:09 PM EST
After playing things cool the past two seasons, relations between the Colorado Avalanche and forward Ryan O’Reilly may be about to get heated up again.
TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports the Avs may file for club-elected salary arbitration on O’Reilly, a restricted free agent. Two seasons ago, the two sides butted heads on a contract until the Calgary Flames signed O’Reilly to a two-year, $10 million offer sheet the Avs quickly matched.
This time around, things could get a bit hairy for Colorado if they go down this road with O’Reilly.
In order for Colorado to retain his rights to negotiate with him, they have to make a $6.5 million qualifying offer to him. The Avs could negotiate a long-term deal with him or they can take him to arbitration. As McKenzie noted, the latter choice isn’t made very often and if O’Reilly agrees to go to arbitration, he can pick a one or two-year award.
At worst for O’Reilly, the arbitrator could side with the Avs and award him an amount lower than $6.5 million. The worst that can be is 85-percent of that total ($5.525 million). Still a good haul but not what he could’ve gotten had the Avs just qualified him.
On the other hand, O’Reilly could win his case and the Avs could be on the hook for a cap hit exceeding $7 million for one or two years. It’d be tough for the Avs to make a case against a guy who had 28 goals and 64 points last season while playing a strong two-way game.
Things didn’t go well when the two tried to work out a deal two years ago and going through this sort of rigmarole again could lead to a holdout or a trade demand.
Update (6:12 p.m. ET): Right after posting this, the Avs have indeed filed for arbitration.
This doesn’t have to have a dire ending for either side. An arbitration hearing is the last straw, but they can get a deal worked out before a hearing even happens. Going this route just provides some closure in some way, although O’Reilly can still be signed to an offer sheet between July 1-5. That wasn’t the case under the old CBA.
Mar 2, 2015, 4:00 PM EST
All the latest leading up to 3 p.m. ET…
Mar 2, 2015, 3:57 PM EST
They were “adamant” about bolstering their blue line.
Mar 2, 2015, 3:44 PM EST
Second trade of the day for Boston.
Mar 2, 2015, 3:38 PM EST
Former 13th overall pick.
Mar 2, 2015, 3:20 PM EST
A 31-year-old for a 23-year-old.
Mar 2, 2015, 3:15 PM EST
For the price of a second-round pick in 2017.
Mar 2, 2015, 3:07 PM EST
Busy day for Montreal.
Mar 2, 2015, 3:06 PM EST
Speedy winger was rumored to be a trade deadline target.
Mar 2, 2015, 2:58 PM EST
Kids. They do the darndest things.
Mar 2, 2015, 2:43 PM EST
Has only been to the playoffs once in his career.
Mar 2, 2015, 2:38 PM EST
New York gets Mark Louis in the deal.
Mar 2, 2015, 2:23 PM EST
It’s the veteran’s third team this season.
Mar 2, 2015, 2:18 PM EST
Couple of minor-league forwards switch clubs.
Mar 2, 2015, 1:49 PM EST
Buffalo also gets a third-round pick in 2016.
Mar 2, 2015, 1:44 PM EST
Doug Wilson, making deals.
Mar 2, 2015, 1:41 PM EST
San Jose gets a conditional 2015 or 2016 draft pick in return.
Mar 2, 2015, 1:40 PM EST
Jim Rutherford and Doug Armstrong orchestrate another.
Mar 2, 2015, 1:15 PM EST
Yes, he shoots right.
Mar 2, 2015, 1:02 PM EST
Western Conference foes flip forwards.
Mar 2, 2015, 12:32 PM EST
The goaltender led the Sens to three straight wins.
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 15
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 3
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 24
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 38
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 12
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 63
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 45
- Trade: Montreal acquires Petry from Edmonton for two draft picks 21
- Bruins acquire Connolly from the Lightning for draft picks (Confirmed) 32
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 69
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (162)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)