Jun 15, 2014, 6:09 PM EST
After playing things cool the past two seasons, relations between the Colorado Avalanche and forward Ryan O’Reilly may be about to get heated up again.
TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports the Avs may file for club-elected salary arbitration on O’Reilly, a restricted free agent. Two seasons ago, the two sides butted heads on a contract until the Calgary Flames signed O’Reilly to a two-year, $10 million offer sheet the Avs quickly matched.
This time around, things could get a bit hairy for Colorado if they go down this road with O’Reilly.
In order for Colorado to retain his rights to negotiate with him, they have to make a $6.5 million qualifying offer to him. The Avs could negotiate a long-term deal with him or they can take him to arbitration. As McKenzie noted, the latter choice isn’t made very often and if O’Reilly agrees to go to arbitration, he can pick a one or two-year award.
At worst for O’Reilly, the arbitrator could side with the Avs and award him an amount lower than $6.5 million. The worst that can be is 85-percent of that total ($5.525 million). Still a good haul but not what he could’ve gotten had the Avs just qualified him.
On the other hand, O’Reilly could win his case and the Avs could be on the hook for a cap hit exceeding $7 million for one or two years. It’d be tough for the Avs to make a case against a guy who had 28 goals and 64 points last season while playing a strong two-way game.
Things didn’t go well when the two tried to work out a deal two years ago and going through this sort of rigmarole again could lead to a holdout or a trade demand.
Update (6:12 p.m. ET): Right after posting this, the Avs have indeed filed for arbitration.
This doesn’t have to have a dire ending for either side. An arbitration hearing is the last straw, but they can get a deal worked out before a hearing even happens. Going this route just provides some closure in some way, although O’Reilly can still be signed to an offer sheet between July 1-5. That wasn’t the case under the old CBA.
Nov 26, 2014, 11:05 PM EST
The Pittsburgh captain reaches point No. 800 in the win.
Nov 26, 2014, 10:20 PM EST
Scores his seventh of the season.
Nov 26, 2014, 9:45 PM EST
Also touches on Martin St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay.
Nov 26, 2014, 9:08 PM EST
Appeared to hurt his left shoulder. Team calling it an upper body injury.
Nov 26, 2014, 8:42 PM EST
The Winnipeg forward was tossed from the game.
Nov 26, 2014, 8:35 PM EST
Has the game’s opening goal tonight.
Nov 26, 2014, 8:20 PM EST
Gets a double-minor on the play.
Nov 26, 2014, 8:10 PM EST
Spent 13 seasons in Tampa Bay.
Nov 26, 2014, 8:05 PM EST
Opened the scoring for Tampa Bay.
Nov 26, 2014, 7:45 PM EST
Expected to join the Blues for practice on Friday.
Nov 26, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
Replaced by Andre Benoit.
Nov 26, 2014, 6:30 PM EST
Was hurt during Tuesday’s practice.
Nov 26, 2014, 5:31 PM EST
Two teams meet for the second time this season.
Nov 26, 2014, 5:12 PM EST
After an injury to Brian Elliott.
Nov 26, 2014, 5:00 PM EST
Yappy Lappy was at it again.
Nov 26, 2014, 4:06 PM EST
“Anybody can GM, anybody can be a president… whether you’re going to be good at it or not, who knows.”
Nov 26, 2014, 3:54 PM EST
San Jose coach is feeling the heat.
Nov 26, 2014, 3:20 PM EST
Click for video of the incident.
Nov 26, 2014, 2:57 PM EST
Minny dominated L.A. early in the season, but lost 2-1.
Nov 26, 2014, 2:45 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 2
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 19
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 16
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 0
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers face Red Wings on Rivalry Night 13
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 9
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)