Jun 15, 2014, 9:29 PM EDT
When it comes to all-time great Los Angeles Kings goalies, Rogie Vachon usually tops everyone’s list. Now after winning two Stanley Cups in three years, Jonathan Quick might be the new pick and the legendary Kings stopper is just fine with that.
Quick broke Vachon’s team record for wins earlier this season and the 68-year-old said Quick might set a standard that can never be beat in L.A. as Chris Foster of the Los Angeles Times shared.
“If he continues the same way, he is going to put up numbers that might take two centuries for someone to break,” Vachon said.
Quick now has 176 wins with the Kings, five ahead of Vachon. He also broke Vachon’s record for shutouts in a season in 2011-12 when he had 10. Vachon’s best was eight in 1976-77, his final season in L.A. after seven seasons of setting the standard.
As for Quick, Vachon calls him the best athlete on the team for how fast he moves in goal and says he might be one of the best athletes in the NHL. He also credits his mental toughness for allowing him to succeed.
Considering Quick is just 28 years old, he may have a few more big seasons left in him. Maybe Rogie wasn’t too far off with his assessment.
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 35
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 14
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 94
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (94)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)