Jun 15, 2014, 9:29 PM EDT
When it comes to all-time great Los Angeles Kings goalies, Rogie Vachon usually tops everyone’s list. Now after winning two Stanley Cups in three years, Jonathan Quick might be the new pick and the legendary Kings stopper is just fine with that.
Quick broke Vachon’s team record for wins earlier this season and the 68-year-old said Quick might set a standard that can never be beat in L.A. as Chris Foster of the Los Angeles Times shared.
“If he continues the same way, he is going to put up numbers that might take two centuries for someone to break,” Vachon said.
Quick now has 176 wins with the Kings, five ahead of Vachon. He also broke Vachon’s record for shutouts in a season in 2011-12 when he had 10. Vachon’s best was eight in 1976-77, his final season in L.A. after seven seasons of setting the standard.
As for Quick, Vachon calls him the best athlete on the team for how fast he moves in goal and says he might be one of the best athletes in the NHL. He also credits his mental toughness for allowing him to succeed.
Considering Quick is just 28 years old, he may have a few more big seasons left in him. Maybe Rogie wasn’t too far off with his assessment.
- BREAKING: Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 5
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 19
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 9
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 2
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 43
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 26
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 49
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)