Jun 15, 2014, 9:29 PM EDT
When it comes to all-time great Los Angeles Kings goalies, Rogie Vachon usually tops everyone’s list. Now after winning two Stanley Cups in three years, Jonathan Quick might be the new pick and the legendary Kings stopper is just fine with that.
Quick broke Vachon’s team record for wins earlier this season and the 68-year-old said Quick might set a standard that can never be beat in L.A. as Chris Foster of the Los Angeles Times shared.
“If he continues the same way, he is going to put up numbers that might take two centuries for someone to break,” Vachon said.
Quick now has 176 wins with the Kings, five ahead of Vachon. He also broke Vachon’s record for shutouts in a season in 2011-12 when he had 10. Vachon’s best was eight in 1976-77, his final season in L.A. after seven seasons of setting the standard.
As for Quick, Vachon calls him the best athlete on the team for how fast he moves in goal and says he might be one of the best athletes in the NHL. He also credits his mental toughness for allowing him to succeed.
Considering Quick is just 28 years old, he may have a few more big seasons left in him. Maybe Rogie wasn’t too far off with his assessment.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 99
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 77
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (100)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)