Jun 15, 2014, 9:29 PM EST
When it comes to all-time great Los Angeles Kings goalies, Rogie Vachon usually tops everyone’s list. Now after winning two Stanley Cups in three years, Jonathan Quick might be the new pick and the legendary Kings stopper is just fine with that.
Quick broke Vachon’s team record for wins earlier this season and the 68-year-old said Quick might set a standard that can never be beat in L.A. as Chris Foster of the Los Angeles Times shared.
“If he continues the same way, he is going to put up numbers that might take two centuries for someone to break,” Vachon said.
Quick now has 176 wins with the Kings, five ahead of Vachon. He also broke Vachon’s record for shutouts in a season in 2011-12 when he had 10. Vachon’s best was eight in 1976-77, his final season in L.A. after seven seasons of setting the standard.
As for Quick, Vachon calls him the best athlete on the team for how fast he moves in goal and says he might be one of the best athletes in the NHL. He also credits his mental toughness for allowing him to succeed.
Considering Quick is just 28 years old, he may have a few more big seasons left in him. Maybe Rogie wasn’t too far off with his assessment.
- BREAKING: Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM 14
- Mike Richards clears waivers 25
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 13
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 53
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)