Jun 15, 2014, 7:01 PM EST
TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports the Jets have filed for club-elected salary arbitration with forward Michael Frolik. He’s set to become a restricted free agent on July 1. By going to arbitration, that means the Jets are opting not make a $1.9 million qualifying offer to Frolik and will look to get a new deal worked out before the two sides wind up in a hearing.
Frolik is coming off a three-year deal that paid him $7 million. While that works out to a $2.333 million cap hit, he was paid $1.9 million last season. He had a solid season scoring 15 goals with 42 points and continued to be one of the better penalty killers in the league.
According to CapGeek, Frolik is a year away from becoming an unrestricted free agent and can only elect to a one-year award in arbitration. There he can either win his case and get a raise on his $1.9 million or he could lose and wind up seeing his salary fall as low as $1.615 million (85 percent of $1.9 million).
That said, don’t expect arbitration to be an issue. Renaud Lavoie of TVA Sports says Frolik’s agent Allan Walsh is working on a long-term deal with the Jets.
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 5
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 4
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 21
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)