Jun 15, 2014, 7:01 PM EDT
TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports the Jets have filed for club-elected salary arbitration with forward Michael Frolik. He’s set to become a restricted free agent on July 1. By going to arbitration, that means the Jets are opting not make a $1.9 million qualifying offer to Frolik and will look to get a new deal worked out before the two sides wind up in a hearing.
Frolik is coming off a three-year deal that paid him $7 million. While that works out to a $2.333 million cap hit, he was paid $1.9 million last season. He had a solid season scoring 15 goals with 42 points and continued to be one of the better penalty killers in the league.
According to CapGeek, Frolik is a year away from becoming an unrestricted free agent and can only elect to a one-year award in arbitration. There he can either win his case and get a raise on his $1.9 million or he could lose and wind up seeing his salary fall as low as $1.615 million (85 percent of $1.9 million).
That said, don’t expect arbitration to be an issue. Renaud Lavoie of TVA Sports says Frolik’s agent Allan Walsh is working on a long-term deal with the Jets.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 18
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 16
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)