Jun 15, 2014, 2:45 PM EDT
For the Dallas Stars, the fact that they even made the playoffs in 2014 was a victory. Their AHL affiliates, the Texas Stars, had more ambitious goals.
For the second straight year, Texas finished atop the Western Conference standings and they have a 2-1 series lead over the St. John’s IceCaps in the Calder Cup Final. Dallas GM Jim Nill thinks it’s only a matter of time before Texas’ success rubs off on Dallas.
“Winning is contagious,” Nill said, per the Dallas Morning News. “We talk all the time about building a winning culture, and this is a big part of that.”
Nill believes in building through the draft and the importance of having a well-run AHL club to help develop that talent, which isn’t surprising given his background with the Detroit Red Wings. He also cited the proximity between the two Stars teams as an aspect that shouldn’t be overlooked.
“These players need to know you’re watching,” Nill said. “They need to know you’re watching when they do good things; they need to know you’re watching when they do bad things.”
The Stars’ AHL affiliate used to be in Iowa, but has played in Austin since the 2009-10 campaign. In the Texas Stars’ five-season history, they have made the playoffs four times and have advanced to the Calder Cup Final twice.
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 5
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 22
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 35
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)