Jun 15, 2014, 2:45 PM EST
For the Dallas Stars, the fact that they even made the playoffs in 2014 was a victory. Their AHL affiliates, the Texas Stars, had more ambitious goals.
For the second straight year, Texas finished atop the Western Conference standings and they have a 2-1 series lead over the St. John’s IceCaps in the Calder Cup Final. Dallas GM Jim Nill thinks it’s only a matter of time before Texas’ success rubs off on Dallas.
“Winning is contagious,” Nill said, per the Dallas Morning News. “We talk all the time about building a winning culture, and this is a big part of that.”
Nill believes in building through the draft and the importance of having a well-run AHL club to help develop that talent, which isn’t surprising given his background with the Detroit Red Wings. He also cited the proximity between the two Stars teams as an aspect that shouldn’t be overlooked.
“These players need to know you’re watching,” Nill said. “They need to know you’re watching when they do good things; they need to know you’re watching when they do bad things.”
The Stars’ AHL affiliate used to be in Iowa, but has played in Austin since the 2009-10 campaign. In the Texas Stars’ five-season history, they have made the playoffs four times and have advanced to the Calder Cup Final twice.
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 18
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 36
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)