Jun 15, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
The word dynasty is sacred. Attempts to call one team or another a dynasty or even in the makings of one can draw a backlash. It should be reserved for that rare breed of team that are at or near the top of the league for years. Something that hasn’t happened in the salary cap era.
NHL.com acknowledges a total of eight dynasties, with the last being the Edmonton Oilers of the 80s and early 90s.
When the Chicago Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup in 2013, there was talk that they might be able to establish themselves as the first modern dynasty. Now the Los Angeles Kings look like an even better contender for that honor, and not just because they won the Stanley Cup twice in three years instead of four.
While Chicago won the Cup twice with largely the same core, cap issued forced them to significantly change the supporting cast between the championships. The 2014 Kings weren’t identical to the 2012 champions, but didn’t have to endure the same dramatic shift that Chicago did. Los Angeles also went to the Western Conference Final in its “off” year while Chicago endured back-to-back first round exits.
In fact, the Kings set an NHL record by playing in 64 playoff games over three years.
“I don’t know if we’re there yet,” Kings defenceman Drew Doughty said of the possibly of the Kings becoming a dynasty, per the Toronto Star, “but I believe we’re on our way to that. I believe this group could be at that point, but it’s going to take a lot of work.”
Doughty is just 24 and has already played in 76 postseason contests. With many of the Kings other key players still relatively young, he could end up getting a lot more postseason experience before he hangs up his skates.
Oct 21, 2014, 11:28 PM EDT
Is a call from the league next?
Oct 21, 2014, 10:54 PM EDT
David Desharnais with his first of the season.
Oct 21, 2014, 10:17 PM EDT
No call on that play.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:50 PM EDT
It’s gone from bad to worse for Vancouver.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
Happened on an innocent enough play.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:29 PM EDT
Outplayed Philly big time in first period.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:07 PM EDT
Bet that felt good.
Oct 21, 2014, 8:27 PM EDT
Thought to be in against Chicago, but no.
Oct 21, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
NHL Insider analyzes what the future has in store for the L.A. defenseman.
Oct 21, 2014, 7:07 PM EDT
Check it out via the NBC Live Extra stream.
Oct 21, 2014, 6:42 PM EDT
“Nathan is a frustrated kid right now. He’s in constant pain.”
Oct 21, 2014, 6:18 PM EDT
After watching the first five games of the season from the press box.
Oct 21, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
‘Canes the only winless team in the league.
Oct 21, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
For example, a really tough upcoming schedule. (But also goaltending and that defense.)
Oct 21, 2014, 3:43 PM EDT
“It’s adversity for us but we’re going to come through it,” says Jarrett Stoll.
Oct 21, 2014, 3:40 PM EDT
News and notes from around the blue paint…
Oct 21, 2014, 3:20 PM EDT
“I don’t think there’s any question that we’re behind what the league has done.”
Oct 21, 2014, 3:01 PM EDT
Click to hear what those “values” entailed.
Oct 21, 2014, 2:19 PM EDT
Former Coyote faces his former team tonight.
Oct 21, 2014, 1:50 PM EDT
Still no timeline for his return.
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 0
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 5
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 28
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)