Jun 15, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
The word dynasty is sacred. Attempts to call one team or another a dynasty or even in the makings of one can draw a backlash. It should be reserved for that rare breed of team that are at or near the top of the league for years. Something that hasn’t happened in the salary cap era.
NHL.com acknowledges a total of eight dynasties, with the last being the Edmonton Oilers of the 80s and early 90s.
When the Chicago Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup in 2013, there was talk that they might be able to establish themselves as the first modern dynasty. Now the Los Angeles Kings look like an even better contender for that honor, and not just because they won the Stanley Cup twice in three years instead of four.
While Chicago won the Cup twice with largely the same core, cap issued forced them to significantly change the supporting cast between the championships. The 2014 Kings weren’t identical to the 2012 champions, but didn’t have to endure the same dramatic shift that Chicago did. Los Angeles also went to the Western Conference Final in its “off” year while Chicago endured back-to-back first round exits.
In fact, the Kings set an NHL record by playing in 64 playoff games over three years.
“I don’t know if we’re there yet,” Kings defenceman Drew Doughty said of the possibly of the Kings becoming a dynasty, per the Toronto Star, “but I believe we’re on our way to that. I believe this group could be at that point, but it’s going to take a lot of work.”
Doughty is just 24 and has already played in 76 postseason contests. With many of the Kings other key players still relatively young, he could end up getting a lot more postseason experience before he hangs up his skates.
Apr 19, 2015, 2:51 AM EDT
It will be interesting to see what happens as this series heads to Winnipeg.
Apr 19, 2015, 1:40 AM EDT
Series shifts back to Winnipeg.
Apr 19, 2015, 12:41 AM EDT
Had a dominant performance in Game 2.
Apr 18, 2015, 11:56 PM EDT
Anaheim’s veteran forward received a minor penalty on the play.
Apr 18, 2015, 11:13 PM EDT
“I think I bring a really good winning attitude and I have a lot to offer offensively.”
Apr 18, 2015, 11:09 PM EDT
Sidney Crosby scored twice and that helps.
Apr 18, 2015, 10:20 PM EDT
Had one goal in 19 playoff games prior to Saturday.
Apr 18, 2015, 9:25 PM EDT
These teams combined for eight shots in the opening period.
Apr 18, 2015, 9:08 PM EDT
Craig MacTavish has some decisions to make, now that he’s won the Connor McDavid sweepstakes.
Apr 18, 2015, 8:39 PM EDT
St. Louis with the win.
Apr 18, 2015, 8:26 PM EDT
Edmonton wins the Connor McDavid sweeps.
Apr 18, 2015, 7:33 PM EDT
Can the Penguins and Jets even things up?
Apr 18, 2015, 7:01 PM EDT
Not wasting any time.
Apr 18, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
This series is all tied up at 1-1.
Apr 18, 2015, 6:06 PM EDT
Mrazek pulled after two periods.
Apr 18, 2015, 5:44 PM EDT
Deryk Engelland’s game misconduct for instigating was rescinded.
Apr 18, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
Enter Jimmy Howard.
Apr 18, 2015, 4:23 PM EDT
He has his first two of these playoffs.
Apr 18, 2015, 4:13 PM EDT
Congrats to Pullar Stadium and War Memorial Arena.
Apr 18, 2015, 4:13 PM EDT
Congrats to Decatur and St. Michael-Albertville.
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (160)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)