Jun 15, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
The word dynasty is sacred. Attempts to call one team or another a dynasty or even in the makings of one can draw a backlash. It should be reserved for that rare breed of team that are at or near the top of the league for years. Something that hasn’t happened in the salary cap era.
NHL.com acknowledges a total of eight dynasties, with the last being the Edmonton Oilers of the 80s and early 90s.
When the Chicago Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup in 2013, there was talk that they might be able to establish themselves as the first modern dynasty. Now the Los Angeles Kings look like an even better contender for that honor, and not just because they won the Stanley Cup twice in three years instead of four.
While Chicago won the Cup twice with largely the same core, cap issued forced them to significantly change the supporting cast between the championships. The 2014 Kings weren’t identical to the 2012 champions, but didn’t have to endure the same dramatic shift that Chicago did. Los Angeles also went to the Western Conference Final in its “off” year while Chicago endured back-to-back first round exits.
In fact, the Kings set an NHL record by playing in 64 playoff games over three years.
“I don’t know if we’re there yet,” Kings defenceman Drew Doughty said of the possibly of the Kings becoming a dynasty, per the Toronto Star, “but I believe we’re on our way to that. I believe this group could be at that point, but it’s going to take a lot of work.”
Doughty is just 24 and has already played in 76 postseason contests. With many of the Kings other key players still relatively young, he could end up getting a lot more postseason experience before he hangs up his skates.
Jul 21, 2014, 10:45 PM EDT
He does know what the advanced stats say though.
Jul 21, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
More depth for a Stanley Cup hopeful.
Jul 21, 2014, 8:25 PM EDT
Trade rumors around the Jets star never stop swirling.
Jul 21, 2014, 7:20 PM EDT
Mike Johnston is going out of his way to know his players.
Jul 21, 2014, 6:04 PM EDT
But hasn’t been charged with a crime.
Jul 21, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
Edmonton’s 2014 first-round pick wants to stick around right away.
Jul 21, 2014, 4:20 PM EDT
He becomes an unrestricted free agent if he isn’t signed by Aug. 15.
Jul 21, 2014, 3:18 PM EDT
(He’s the tall one in the middle.)
Jul 21, 2014, 2:21 PM EDT
“That’s an exciting guy to watch.”
Jul 21, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
“There are many reasons, but I do not want to go into details,” she said in a statement.
Jul 21, 2014, 12:26 PM EDT
The Rangers countered with a two-year deal at $2.05M per.
Jul 21, 2014, 11:24 AM EDT
Avoiding arbitration in the process.
Jul 21, 2014, 11:06 AM EDT
Yeah, this one’s going to arbitration.
Jul 21, 2014, 10:16 AM EDT
“We are looking forward to having Vladimir in a Blues uniform when he returns to the NHL,” said GM Doug Armstrong.
Jul 21, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Things apparently went sour with Patrick Roy.
Jul 21, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Monday’s assortment of links.
Jul 20, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Will he manage to make the team right away?
Jul 20, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
They know their outdoor games.
Jul 20, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
His still-deadly shot doesn’t hurt, either.
Jul 20, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
Jason Spezza sold his former Ottawa home for $1.7 million.
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 35
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 44
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 52
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Panthers re-sign Kulikov: three years, $13 million 6
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him 77
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M 58
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (57)