Jun 15, 2014, 11:26 AM EST
The Phoenix (soon to be Arizona) Coyotes are coming up on the one-year anniversary of the Glendale City Council 4-3 vote to approve a 15-year lease agreement for Jobing.com Arena that led to the team being bought from the league.
That gave the Coyotes a fighting chance to prove that an NHL franchise can survive in Glendale, but they need the on-ice product to improve first after they fell short of the postseason in back-to-back campaigns. Coyotes GM Don Maloney is looking to the Detroit Red Wings as he attempts to orchestrate that turnaround.
“That’s our model,” Maloney said, per the Detroit Free Press. “They make the playoffs every year, they’re exciting to watch, they sell out their building every night and have a strong history of success.”
Certainly the Los Angeles Kings and Chicago Blackhawks have been better than Detroit over the last five years, but it’s easy to see why a model that puts an emphasis on sustainability would appeal to the Coyotes after years of uncertainty. Detroit undergoes transitional periods like the one it endured in 2013-14 and will continue next season, but the team has managed to avoid traditional rebuilds like the one that the Blackhawks went through en route to establishing the core that’s led them to where they are today.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 6
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 8
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 46
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)