Jun 15, 2014, 10:45 PM EST
The 2014 NHL Draft could be filled with surprises and intrigue, but it could also be filled with coincidences that make history seem funny.
One such possibility could revolve around Barrie Colts forward Brendan Lemieux. Brendan is the son of former Colorado Avalanche forward Claude Lemieux. We’ve talked about him here before.
During the NHL Scouting Combine, Lemieux interviewed with 28 out of 30 NHL teams and one of those was the Detroit Red Wings. The guy doing the talking for Detroit was none other than Kris Draper, now a special assistant to GM Ken Holland. Draper and Claude Lemieux have a notorious history dating back to 1996.
As Mike Morreale of NHL.com shared, the interview went without any fireworks.
“We had a great conversation,” Brendan said. “He’s a really nice guy. I did not think I was going to get interviewed by them, let alone have it be serious. I thought they were going to walk in, make a few jokes and I was going to leave, but I have nothing but good things to say about their organization. They were extremely professional and they barely brought it up. I tried to joke about it and they weren’t even budging.
“I have no problem playing in Detroit after that interview, for sure.”
Imagine the reaction of Red Wings fans who still see red when they see video of Brendan’s father Claude hitting Draper from behind during the 1996 Western Conference Final.
Somewhere, Dino Ciccarelli is really getting fired up about the possibility of the Wings taking the son of a franchise villain.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)