‘Tears of heartbreak’ for Lundqvist, Rangers

Jun 14, 2014, 1:29 AM EDT

Henrik Lundqvist and the New York Rangers continued to fight hard in another elimination contest in Game 5, yet this time they fell to the Los Angeles Kings in a double-overtime thriller. As brilliant as Lundqvist was, he couldn’t stop that Alec Martinez rebound goal that clinched the Kings’ championship, and he didn’t deny how much this loss hurts.

No doubt about it, Lundqvist & Co. went down fighting. The 32-year-old netminder made 48 saves in Game 5 and finished a .923 save percentage in the 2014 Stanley Cup Final series overall.

While Lundqvist often stood on his head, other Rangers struggled. Brad Richards drew serious criticism for his play during stretches of this series in particular, yet he seemed more focused on the team loss than any individual struggles.

As great as Lundqvist was at times, Jonathan Quick enjoyed some dominant moments and now possesses two Stanley Cup rings. It sounds like a few Rangers felt like they let their goalie down.

Ultimately, most seemed to agree that it all hurts so badly because the Rangers were so close. Their head coach even seems to find silver linings in these bittersweet feelings.

Proud or not, the Kings ultimately proved to be too much to handle. Time will tell if the Rangers will get this far again with Lundqvist as their franchise goalie.

1. idonthavethebloodyoucrave - Jun 14, 2014 at 1:32 AM

ALL HAIL!!! HENRY THE REBOUND KING!!!

“KING” WHO HASN’T WON A THING!

Glad the real Kings prevailed!

• 1cupin74years - Jun 14, 2014 at 1:35 AM

Bam! Well, wait, he did get Gold in Olympics. And then…..

• blomfeld - Jun 15, 2014 at 12:44 AM

6 – 6 – 6
        ______

NEWS FLASH !!!

Last night was Lundqvist`s 666th game played in the NHL ! … just say`n man … :)

• barkar942 - Jun 14, 2014 at 2:02 AM

The real kings would have lost this series if it weren’t for three blown calls!
      Congrats to the Kings.

• idonthavethebloodyoucrave - Jun 14, 2014 at 2:13 AM

Those tears are almost as delicious as Henry’s rebounds …

• killerbronco - Jun 14, 2014 at 10:42 AM

Cry baby, Kings are best team in NHL. When you win game 7’s and overtime games that’s a sign of a true CHAMP! 2 cups in 3 years and make conference final the other year it shows. Stop being a baby. Too big and talented for your Rangers. Will Rangers be there next year, chances are NO! But Kings will be at least a factor cause the west is clearly loaded and any team to make it out will be hard to beat. You had 3 chances in OT to prove something but No not one win in OT and got blanked at home in game 3 , just be proud of your teams effort . Maybe your team should have stopped the Kings on the power plays after these so called bad calls if your the better team. Why do losers always find something to complain about rather that realize you just aren’t good enough. You would have never even made it out of the west.(KINGS STANLEY CUPS) Deal with it.

• karazi4nyr - Jun 14, 2014 at 2:03 AM

Nice classy reply. I will however congratulate the kings on a victory. But I would more so like to say I’m proud of the rangers they played well this year. No one would have imagined they would have made it this far. Through all the doubt and dis belief you came out on top. I can’t wait for next year. On that note. Hank you are amazing you truly are Our King.

LGR!!!

• idonthavethebloodyoucrave - Jun 14, 2014 at 2:12 AM

If that’s your King … LOL

• cybernetikghost - Jun 14, 2014 at 2:21 PM

I’m not going to rub it into the Rangers’ faces when there are a few people laying it on pretty thick. I will say I’m surprised fans of the Rangers blame the refs before lackluster players. If they had more than just Lundvist show up, this would have gone deeper.

• krebsy34 - Jun 14, 2014 at 9:40 AM

You do realize that to stop the initial shot Lundqvist had to leave a rebound. The best way to score on a goalie is to shoot to the far post and crash the net.

Also you say he hasn’t won a thing. He has won everything but the Stanley Cup. Just like many, many great players.

• cybernetikghost - Jun 14, 2014 at 2:25 PM

Lundqvist is amazing and all but he didn’t hold his head in his hands all that time because he was thinking “I’m so glad I won Olympic gold.” These guys grow up dreaming of winning the cup. I’m sure he loves his medal, but he wants that cup more.

• krebsy34 - Jun 14, 2014 at 3:56 PM

cybernetikghost.

Yeah…I know that.

I’m responding to the line ““KING” WHO HASN’T WON A THING!”

• habs9 - Jun 14, 2014 at 10:43 AM

nicely done KINGS! (except for that jerk Richards)

as for this

‘It sounds like a few Rangers felt like they let their goalie down.’

INCREDIBLE understatement lol!

• billiam55 - Jun 14, 2014 at 12:01 PM

its posts like these ill never understand. wheres the class and sportsmanship?

• mattyjets - Jun 14, 2014 at 6:48 PM

While I appreciate the ATHF name you chose, I know and you know the real heroes for the Kings wore black and white… striped shirts. I have no doubt if the officiating hadn’t been a travesty it would have been a great series but the tape doesn’t lie. Poor calls handed the Kings this cup. I can only hope it’s as poisoned as the one Joffrey got.

2. 1cupin74years - Jun 14, 2014 at 1:37 AM

Rangers don’t even need to be upset. They beat the Caps in Game 7 of the 2013 Quarterfinals. According to Rags fans, that’s the pinnacle of sports success. Eff this Cup business. Hopefully Lundqvist moves to a less douchey team. He’s great. Rags, not so much.

3. itwasafumble - Jun 14, 2014 at 2:07 AM

The Rangers shouldn’t be upset, period. For a team that was written off before Game 7 of the WCF was even played, they certainly didn’t look like it. With a little bit of luck, they could have possibly been up 3 games to 2 right now. I feel that the Kings are the better team overall, but the Rangers deserve major kudos. They played with heart, skill, and pride. I’m glad my team won, but good game, good series, NY.

• fpstratton - Jun 16, 2014 at 7:45 PM

Agreed! The Rangers were terrific. Outside of game 3, when I feel the Kings showed their superiority, and that of the Western Conference over the Eastern Conference, this series was decided by a few bounces of the puck, really. New York nearly won game 5 on several occasions. It takes luck and skill to win a Cup, and the Kings had a lot of both. The Blueshirts exceeded expectations this year, and they have some good young players that should give them hope for better things in the next few years. If Rick Nash and Brad Richards had only shown up!

4. bigcat2330 - Jun 14, 2014 at 2:34 AM

Couldn’t be any more proud of this team.

5. nashernation - Jun 14, 2014 at 2:35 AM

The Rangers and the King fought hard but our big name players were no shows in the finals. Richards is gone next year and I hope we can keep are core of young players. The King will win a cup before his Ranger career. Bank on that..

• cybernetikghost - Jun 14, 2014 at 2:33 PM

The kings were courting Richards for a while, too. Between Richards and Kovalchuk, Lombardi dodged some bullets.

6. nhlfan14 - Jun 14, 2014 at 2:35 AM

DETHRONED!

7. aldog83 - Jun 14, 2014 at 3:10 AM

Lundqvist deserved of his nickname. Much respect to a “gamer” guy was great.

The “King” was a Beast.

As an LA fan…

Just glad the Kings team overcame.

GKG!

8. sjtorpitt - Jun 14, 2014 at 3:29 AM

Haha thebloodyoucrave is suddenly a kings fan.
    Conn Smythe to the refs, their tremendous effort won the kings 2 games

• killerbronco - Jun 14, 2014 at 10:52 AM

Oh look another cry baby. Win a OT game! Oh that’s right 0 for 3.true champs win those games. Remember you got blanked at home in game 3. Guess bad call cause you not to score!!!!

• mattyjets - Jun 14, 2014 at 6:51 PM

Legitimately get to an OT game. Game 2 and 5 never should’ve been OT games, I know it, you know it, Mike Milbury and Keith Jones who both hate the Rangers also know it. When Those guys say the calls against the Rangers were bogus, it might mean something.

• fpstratton - Jun 16, 2014 at 7:47 PM

Boo! The Kings were the better team.

9. theageofquarrel - Jun 14, 2014 at 3:38 AM

King Nothing

10. theskinsman - Jun 14, 2014 at 5:09 AM

Congrats to both teams. Rangers left it all on the ice, but LA had too much.

11. imgoingtowichita - Jun 14, 2014 at 6:36 AM

Tears because he can’t hang a teammate out to dry after the GWG, Queen.

12. canadatude - Jun 14, 2014 at 6:40 AM

How can Brassard say this was the battle of the two best goalies in the world? Lindquist played great, but the Rangers are not in the finals if they don’t take out Price with that dirty play in the first game.
    Congrats to the Kings.

• idonthavethebloodyoucrave - Jun 14, 2014 at 10:15 AM

Dunno what he’s talking about. Lots of goalies will flourish and have their stats inflated by AV’s/Torts system.

The Rangers sure did win the luck of the playoff draw though by facing two teams without their starting goaltenders.

• nhlfan14 - Jun 14, 2014 at 11:32 AM

Thank you for stating the truth!!!!!!!! I don’t have respect for a team that had to injure other players to advance. Screw the rangers and their “king”.

13. thegronk87 - Jun 14, 2014 at 7:01 AM

Who’s going to wear the Broadway Hat tonight? ???? Oh yeah…..

Kings own the NY region….they beat the devils and rangers. Next year – Islanders.

14. nebbah306 - Jun 14, 2014 at 7:02 AM

I love all the haters. I’d say 28 teams in the NhL would rather have the King than whoever their team has. Idonthavethrbloodyourcrave is a effin joke

• imgoingtowichita - Jun 14, 2014 at 11:23 AM

I’d rather have DiPietro

15. spizzjr - Jun 14, 2014 at 8:23 AM

An inch of snow here and there is more like it should have ended a game ago

• idonthavethebloodyoucrave - Jun 14, 2014 at 1:49 PM

Yep.

If Madison Square Garden didn’t use slurpee machines for maintaining the ice, this series is over in 4.

16. nhstateline - Jun 14, 2014 at 8:31 AM

Henrik was great. Quick was great. It was quite a series. The Kings earned it with 26 games. The Rangers had a great playoff run. Why not just leave it at that and appreciate what both teams did ? Especially last night. That was just amazing……

17. thegronk87 - Jun 14, 2014 at 8:31 AM

You rangers fans going to the parade????

18. sticks169 - Jun 14, 2014 at 8:55 AM

The Kings really need to thank the officials for all of the blown calls that kept them in this series. If it wasn’t for them they would have not been in a lot of these games. It is true Kings nuts, any one that watched the games without the purple or even blue glasses could see it. Even Doc Emrick said the league didn’t appear to want the Rangers to win. The DB announcers even saw phantom penalties called against the NYR’s which allowed the games to go to OT. All BS. They wouldn’t have won without that help.

• idonthavethebloodyoucrave - Jun 14, 2014 at 10:19 AM

QQ

• killerbronco - Jun 14, 2014 at 11:09 AM

Wow , let’s get him some cheese. The better team won and all those cheap shots you used against the Canadians to win you could not use here cause the Kings would have destroyed any player who would have tried it and they knew it. Loser always cry foul when they lose. Deal with it, the Kings are the best team in NHL just look at last 3 years.Go KINGS(CUP CHAMPS!!)

• nhlfan14 - Jun 14, 2014 at 11:37 AM

I agree!!!! I went to those games and it was obvious they had to take others out to make it to the final. Didn’t work this time!!!!!!!

19. fearmycheese - Jun 14, 2014 at 9:05 AM

No one cares about this niche sport. Goodie Hockey is over with.

• afrancis55 - Jun 14, 2014 at 10:24 AM

Get back to work, skippy. Those burgers aren’t going to flip themselves.

• raoool - Jun 14, 2014 at 10:25 AM

good thing we have trolls like you to click and comment – keeps the ad revenues up.

thanks for supporting hockey!

on a relevant note, good series – refs played too big a part. Kings are the better team, but would have been fun to see another game or two.

20. cutelittleguy02 - Jun 14, 2014 at 10:25 AM

Sorry NY. Maybe not this season. However, LA Kings deserve the win and the Stanley Cup this year. Yessss.

21. homerx - Jun 14, 2014 at 10:32 AM

@idonthavethebloodyoucrave – for starters Torts and AV have completely different system. If you were a hockey fan you would know that. Second, that’s what any coaches system is supposed to do, create stats like goals, assists, saves and blocks.

22. jake1199 - Jun 14, 2014 at 10:51 AM

Enjoy your time kings fans! Bash all you want! You won’t be winning another cup for some time! Don’t get me wrong, you have a few young players- doughty, quick etc… But lots of old like regehr, Mitchell etc. You won’t win a cup I say in 5 years where the team is starting to get much older and gonna start getting SLOWER!

If u r wondering, yes I am a rangers fan! Disappointed we came inches from winning but we had our chances and didn’t bare down on it! As for our changes, I don’t see us getting back to the cup until we get rid of old timers’ richards and Nash but have lots of young talent and great goalie in Hank!

• mogogo1 - Jun 14, 2014 at 11:16 AM

Dude, they’ve won 2 cups in 3 years and you’re going to try and get them with the old “you won’t win it again” line? Seriously? Nobody gave them a shot this year and they still won.

• killerbronco - Jun 14, 2014 at 11:24 AM

Get your facts right before you open your mouth. King are one of the 10 youngest teams in hockey. Yes they have some great vets but that’s why they are so good. Know your facts. This team has a chance to win for the next 5 years.Rangers are too small and don’t have enough clutch players . You won’t even make conference finals next year. The west is clearly better and much harder to get out of. That’s why Kings had to fight so hard in finals.:.

23. jake1199 - Jun 14, 2014 at 11:11 AM

LOL, oh yeah I am crying and complaining! Not at all! Rangers had chances but didn’t bury when it counted! We were inches away! What a putz! Oh like I said enjoy it, your not winning it next year!

24. jake1199 - Jun 14, 2014 at 11:37 AM

LOL, man oh got some die hard king fans! Like I said congrats on the win! Half your team is over 28! Ok maybe you win another cup in 5 years but doubt that! Teams are getting younger-bigger faster! Plus a good blue liner with an above average goalie gets you the cup!

Get my facts straight! Dude, look at the results since ’98! No team has repeated since then! So enjoy the win and good luck in trying to win it! Not bashing about you trying not to win it next year but it will be tough!

• cybernetikghost - Jun 14, 2014 at 4:11 PM

The game is getting faster but that’s why the Kings rely on their standout defense to control the pace of the game. I get that it’s super easy to hate the kings (especially being a ranger fan) but to say that they can’t win because they aren’t fast is making you sound stupid. They beat the ducks and hawks. You wanna talk about youth, speed, and talent….there ya go.

25. jake1199 - Jun 14, 2014 at 12:01 PM

What you mean injure other players? Are you stupid? Do you think it was meant to injure another player? Give your head a shake! If it was meant to be there would have been a line brawl or suspensions!

26. nj666 - Jun 14, 2014 at 12:18 PM

somebody call the whambulance

27. bills4 - Jun 14, 2014 at 1:25 PM

If you really truly think the refs won the cup for LA when the Kings outplayed the Rangers in 3 of the 5 games and outshot them in 4 of the 5 games, YOU ARE AN IDIOT! Referees blew calls both ways. In every instance, after a bad call, the Rangers were still in control of their own destiny……….. And THEY BLEW IT!

28. cybernetikghost - Jun 14, 2014 at 4:15 PM

I miss the series against the hawks. With the over abundance of respect between the two fan bases. After game 7, it was “amazing series, let’s do it again next year” not “the refs should get the Conn Smythe.”

29. donniesd - Jun 14, 2014 at 6:22 PM

I wonder if a “Bronco” anyone posting about a “LA” team of any kind has a little bromance for Frontrunners…

30. donniesd - Jun 14, 2014 at 6:27 PM

And the Price injury was intentional…. Come on…

Congrats to the Kings and the Rangers… Great series!

And to all of the Hank haters… The man is a class act… I guess I can chalk the “keyboard hatred” to “compensating for something”;)

31. papajack1259 - Jun 14, 2014 at 6:28 PM

Ten Thoughts watching Stanley Cup
    1- Dustin Brown epitomizes a hockey player
    2- The Rangers gave the Kings a go
    3- Doughty is as good a player as there is in the game
    4- Haglan & Zucerello (sp) played theigr hearts out
    5- all games should have minimum whistles let em play
    6- king Henri is not the best goalie on the planet he had his share of luck & still lost
    7- Pierre & Eddy should open a garage in Winnipeg and forget announcing
    8- The Rangers ran out of gas before the Kings
    9- Lady Luck always plays a part in sport
    10- I will miss Hockey till next Oct.

• icewalker946 - Jun 14, 2014 at 6:46 PM

I agree with everything you said. Zuccarello was my favorite player to watch in the short time I watched the playoffs. He’s not the best or the fastest or the toughest but he went 100% when he was out there. I don’t know why he stood out but he was my favorite player to watch.

I stood up and cheered prematurely when Nash had a wide open net got the game winner and a stick–A STICK– deflected it high above the open net. It’s like trying to hit a pitched baseball with a 1X1 except you are on skates and on ice and you probably have been skating hard for the last minute or two. Dang right, Lady Luck was there.

I will watch more and more hockey next year. The few games I watched lit my hockey fire. Just don’t go on strike again!

32. icewalker946 - Jun 14, 2014 at 6:35 PM

I really got into hockey because of the NHL Hockey game on Sega Genesis. It allowed me to understand the rules and the players and, for what a video game can give, the strategy of what goes on.

And then the 1994 N.Y. Rangers came thru and won the Stanley Cup and I loved hockey.

Then the NHL went on strike.

I took up the game, playing goalie for a men’s league in Milwaukee. We got to the championship game and lost. I loved playing. I would sub for goalies in other leagues just to play.

Then I got married. Time to be a family man.

My found out my wife is a liar, a cheat. It’s almost time for me to leave.

I watched last night with a renewed passion for the game. I may go back to Milwaukee and see if my game (and my right knee) can still handle the game now that I am 41 years old.

Thank you NHL. It’s it STILL the coolest game on Earth.

(how did that come out? I’ve got a bunch of Jack and Cokes in me. Forgive me)

33. endusersolutions2013 - Jun 16, 2014 at 1:31 AM

Late on this thread, but pardon me – so close? 4-1? Looking at not only the results of the SC for the last 10 years, but also the inter-conference results this year, and the last multiple years.

It was clear in advance that whoever won the WC championship was going to win the SC.

The close series was the WC championship between the Kings and Hawks. Kings wont in OT in game 7 and went on to go 4-1.

There was one “final 4″ series this year. Kings – Hawks, which the Kings twon.

Period.