Jun 14, 2014, 2:12 AM EDT
Had you asked Jarret Stoll Friday morning if the Kings were running out of energy going into their 26th game of the playoffs, he probably would have dutifully told you that it’s not a factor. Now that the series is in the books, he admitted that he’s relieved the series didn’t go any deeper because Los Angeles was out of gas, according to ESPN and TSN’s Pierre LeBrun.
Unlike their 2012 championship, this year was a grind for the Kings. They were the first team to ever advance to the Stanley Cup Final after playing in the maximum 21 games over the first three rounds. On top of that, three of the five games of the Stanley Cup Final went to overtime with two of them extending to double-OT.
That’s following two long playoff runs in 2012 and 2013. In total, Los Angeles has now played in 64 playoff games over the last three years, which is a new NHL record, per CBC.
The issue of fatigue is often brought up when talking about a defending Stanley Cup champion and the Kings are particularly vulnerable to that problem. Though, they don’t have to worry about it yet. For now they can just be happy that it’s over and their resolve won’t be further tested with a Game 6 in New York.
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 2
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 12
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 63
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 31
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 54
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 13
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 10
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (63)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)