Jun 14, 2014, 6:36 PM EST
The Denver Post’s Adrian Dater passes along a good news/bad news proposition for Colorado Avalanche fans hoping to witness an outdoor game close to home.
Bad: The Avalanche won’t get to host an outdoor game during the 2014-15 season.
Good: Their odds of being the site of an outdoor contest in 2015-16 sound pretty high, at least according to the report.
Dater paints an enticing picture about what a 2016 outdoor game could be like at Coors Field, especially if the Avalanche are lucky enough to host a potential 2016 Winter Classic:
The good news: Denver wouldn’t have gotten the Big Enchilada Winter Classic game in early 2015 anyway, because that game already is set to be played in Washington. It would have had to have been a “Coors Light Stadium Series” game. So, maybe Denver will get the official Winter Classic in 2016. That would be a bigger event, and probably include an alumni game of sorts – and wouldn’t we just love it if that alumni game were between the Avs and Red Wings?
If that happened, it would be a victory for fans of the NHL as a whole – especially those who watched intently in the late 90’s and early 00’s – not just Avalanche and Detroit Red Wings devotees.
Recent outdoor game speculation
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 48
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 27
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 76
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 20
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 29
- Video: Fight erupts between Penguins and Capitals inside Pittsburgh’s bench 40
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (76)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)