Jun 14, 2014, 6:36 PM EDT
The Denver Post’s Adrian Dater passes along a good news/bad news proposition for Colorado Avalanche fans hoping to witness an outdoor game close to home.
Bad: The Avalanche won’t get to host an outdoor game during the 2014-15 season.
Good: Their odds of being the site of an outdoor contest in 2015-16 sound pretty high, at least according to the report.
Dater paints an enticing picture about what a 2016 outdoor game could be like at Coors Field, especially if the Avalanche are lucky enough to host a potential 2016 Winter Classic:
The good news: Denver wouldn’t have gotten the Big Enchilada Winter Classic game in early 2015 anyway, because that game already is set to be played in Washington. It would have had to have been a “Coors Light Stadium Series” game. So, maybe Denver will get the official Winter Classic in 2016. That would be a bigger event, and probably include an alumni game of sorts – and wouldn’t we just love it if that alumni game were between the Avs and Red Wings?
If that happened, it would be a victory for fans of the NHL as a whole – especially those who watched intently in the late 90’s and early 00’s – not just Avalanche and Detroit Red Wings devotees.
Recent outdoor game speculation
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 3
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 6
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 38
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 23
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)