Jun 14, 2014, 6:36 PM EDT
The Denver Post’s Adrian Dater passes along a good news/bad news proposition for Colorado Avalanche fans hoping to witness an outdoor game close to home.
Bad: The Avalanche won’t get to host an outdoor game during the 2014-15 season.
Good: Their odds of being the site of an outdoor contest in 2015-16 sound pretty high, at least according to the report.
Dater paints an enticing picture about what a 2016 outdoor game could be like at Coors Field, especially if the Avalanche are lucky enough to host a potential 2016 Winter Classic:
The good news: Denver wouldn’t have gotten the Big Enchilada Winter Classic game in early 2015 anyway, because that game already is set to be played in Washington. It would have had to have been a “Coors Light Stadium Series” game. So, maybe Denver will get the official Winter Classic in 2016. That would be a bigger event, and probably include an alumni game of sorts – and wouldn’t we just love it if that alumni game were between the Avs and Red Wings?
If that happened, it would be a victory for fans of the NHL as a whole – especially those who watched intently in the late 90′s and early 00′s – not just Avalanche and Detroit Red Wings devotees.
Recent outdoor game speculation
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 7
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 22
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 50
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 2
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 60
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (60)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)