Jun 14, 2014, 6:36 PM EDT
The Denver Post’s Adrian Dater passes along a good news/bad news proposition for Colorado Avalanche fans hoping to witness an outdoor game close to home.
Bad: The Avalanche won’t get to host an outdoor game during the 2014-15 season.
Good: Their odds of being the site of an outdoor contest in 2015-16 sound pretty high, at least according to the report.
Dater paints an enticing picture about what a 2016 outdoor game could be like at Coors Field, especially if the Avalanche are lucky enough to host a potential 2016 Winter Classic:
The good news: Denver wouldn’t have gotten the Big Enchilada Winter Classic game in early 2015 anyway, because that game already is set to be played in Washington. It would have had to have been a “Coors Light Stadium Series” game. So, maybe Denver will get the official Winter Classic in 2016. That would be a bigger event, and probably include an alumni game of sorts – and wouldn’t we just love it if that alumni game were between the Avs and Red Wings?
If that happened, it would be a victory for fans of the NHL as a whole – especially those who watched intently in the late 90’s and early 00’s – not just Avalanche and Detroit Red Wings devotees.
Recent outdoor game speculation
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 4
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 6
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 7
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18