Jun 14, 2014, 6:36 PM EDT
The Denver Post’s Adrian Dater passes along a good news/bad news proposition for Colorado Avalanche fans hoping to witness an outdoor game close to home.
Bad: The Avalanche won’t get to host an outdoor game during the 2014-15 season.
Good: Their odds of being the site of an outdoor contest in 2015-16 sound pretty high, at least according to the report.
Dater paints an enticing picture about what a 2016 outdoor game could be like at Coors Field, especially if the Avalanche are lucky enough to host a potential 2016 Winter Classic:
The good news: Denver wouldn’t have gotten the Big Enchilada Winter Classic game in early 2015 anyway, because that game already is set to be played in Washington. It would have had to have been a “Coors Light Stadium Series” game. So, maybe Denver will get the official Winter Classic in 2016. That would be a bigger event, and probably include an alumni game of sorts – and wouldn’t we just love it if that alumni game were between the Avs and Red Wings?
If that happened, it would be a victory for fans of the NHL as a whole – especially those who watched intently in the late 90’s and early 00’s – not just Avalanche and Detroit Red Wings devotees.
Recent outdoor game speculation
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 11
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 33
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25