Jun 14, 2014, 11:04 AM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings are famous for signing players out of Sweden that go on to become stars and now they’ve turned their attention the Czech Republic.
The team announced they’ve signed 21-year-old forward Tomas Nosek to a two-year entry-level deal. He spent the past three seasons playing for HC Pardubice in the Czech Extraliga piling up 24 goals and 62 points in 129 games. This season he had 44 points in 52 games with 19 goals.
Nosek was a member of Pardubice’s Extraliga championship-winning team in 2012 and won the award for most penalized player in the 2013-14 playoffs with 44 penalty minutes in 10 games. Feisty.
As Red Wings development coach Jiri Fischer told Bob Duff of The Windsor Star, they like what he’s got, but he has work to do.
“He’ll have to get stronger, work on his skating,” Fischer said. “He is a hard worker, he is willing. This past year he worked on his finishing and his shot.
“He just gets better every year. He’s signing with us based on how much better he’s gotten the last three years.”
Look for Nosek to challenge for a spot in Detroit but likely start next season in the AHL with Grand Rapids.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (90)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)