Jun 14, 2014, 11:04 AM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings are famous for signing players out of Sweden that go on to become stars and now they’ve turned their attention the Czech Republic.
The team announced they’ve signed 21-year-old forward Tomas Nosek to a two-year entry-level deal. He spent the past three seasons playing for HC Pardubice in the Czech Extraliga piling up 24 goals and 62 points in 129 games. This season he had 44 points in 52 games with 19 goals.
Nosek was a member of Pardubice’s Extraliga championship-winning team in 2012 and won the award for most penalized player in the 2013-14 playoffs with 44 penalty minutes in 10 games. Feisty.
As Red Wings development coach Jiri Fischer told Bob Duff of The Windsor Star, they like what he’s got, but he has work to do.
“He’ll have to get stronger, work on his skating,” Fischer said. “He is a hard worker, he is willing. This past year he worked on his finishing and his shot.
“He just gets better every year. He’s signing with us based on how much better he’s gotten the last three years.”
Look for Nosek to challenge for a spot in Detroit but likely start next season in the AHL with Grand Rapids.
- Giroux leaves ice after 15 minutes with lower-body injury (Updated) 12
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 27
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)