Jun 14, 2014, 11:04 AM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings are famous for signing players out of Sweden that go on to become stars and now they’ve turned their attention the Czech Republic.
The team announced they’ve signed 21-year-old forward Tomas Nosek to a two-year entry-level deal. He spent the past three seasons playing for HC Pardubice in the Czech Extraliga piling up 24 goals and 62 points in 129 games. This season he had 44 points in 52 games with 19 goals.
Nosek was a member of Pardubice’s Extraliga championship-winning team in 2012 and won the award for most penalized player in the 2013-14 playoffs with 44 penalty minutes in 10 games. Feisty.
As Red Wings development coach Jiri Fischer told Bob Duff of The Windsor Star, they like what he’s got, but he has work to do.
“He’ll have to get stronger, work on his skating,” Fischer said. “He is a hard worker, he is willing. This past year he worked on his finishing and his shot.
“He just gets better every year. He’s signing with us based on how much better he’s gotten the last three years.”
Look for Nosek to challenge for a spot in Detroit but likely start next season in the AHL with Grand Rapids.
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)