Jun 14, 2014, 1:55 PM EDT
The New York Rangers’ loss in five games of the Stanley Cup Final is disappointing for the fans. Seeing the team make it as far as they did is a point of pride, as is how they handled themselves against the Los Angeles Kings.
The bar is set to exceed what they did this season next year and to do that the Rangers and GM Glen Sather have some hard decisions to make.
According to CapGeek.com, the Rangers have nearly $54 million committed to the salary cap next season to 13 players. That means they have to fill out their roster on a nearly $17 million budget to fill 10 spots. That also likely means Brad Richards‘ future in New York is highly in doubt.
The Rangers have one remaining compliance buyout and it would be shocking if they don’t use it on Richards. The talk of him being bought out has been going since last summer. It came up again during the playoffs and his $6.67 million cap hit over the next six seasons coupled with his poor playoff production makes him a prime, and likely, candidate to give the Rangers lots of breathing room under the cap.
Richards is still a good player, he’s just not nearly $7 million per season against the cap good at this point.
That added space would be huge as the Rangers have five restricted free agents to re-sign and three of them are big ones. Chris Kreider, Derick Brassard, and Mats Zuccarello were all key forwards in the regular season and playoffs and will be looking for a raise.
Toss in unrestricted free agent forwards Benoit Pouliot, Brian Boyle, Dominic Moore, and defenseman Anton Stralman (who will undoubtedly get a big offer) and it’s looking as though the Rangers will have a much different look if they’re going to make a run at the Cup next season.
Sep 19, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT
He suffered three concussions in under a year.
Sep 19, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
It’s part of the reason why the defenseman is playing for Washington.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:58 PM EDT
He suffered a concussion last season.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:17 PM EDT
Greg Sherman stayed on as his assistant.
Sep 19, 2014, 3:33 PM EDT
He’s not the only member of the Ducks that’s hurting.
Sep 19, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Held out of Kings’ on-ice activities on Friday.
Sep 19, 2014, 2:06 PM EDT
“We’re a cap team now, despite us being in the bottom five of the league in ticket revenue.”
Sep 19, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Flyers captain currently being evaluated.
Sep 19, 2014, 1:21 PM EDT
“We have two NHL centermen right now,” said Dallas Eakins.
Sep 19, 2014, 1:09 PM EDT
Just like they did last year.
Sep 19, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
But most of them wouldn’t have gone public with the negotiations.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT
What does his future hold in Calgary?
Sep 19, 2014, 11:17 AM EDT
Will the men have to face NHLers?
Sep 19, 2014, 11:07 AM EDT
“But maybe we can control the top lines and outperform the lower lines.”
Sep 19, 2014, 10:56 AM EDT
“I’m sure they’re up to the task.”
Sep 19, 2014, 10:23 AM EDT
Understands what RFA Ryan Johansen is currently going through.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:47 AM EDT
Going old school for upcoming season.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:29 AM EDT
Missed Thursday’s activities.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:46 AM EDT
Hopes to find the right fit on his second line.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Jamie McGinn and John Mitchell also rank among the already-wounded.
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 23
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)