Martinez ‘blacked out’ for a bit after scoring OT winner

Jun 14, 2014, 1:57 AM EDT

2014 NHL Stanley Cup Final - Game Five Getty Images

“It came off his pad pretty quick. I just tried to get a stick on it and get it on net. After that, I blacked out. I tossed my gear, the guys jumped in, and I couldn’t breathe for a while. It’s a surreal moment.”

If you’ve ever wondered what it feels like to score the goal that wins the Stanley Cup, that’s Alec Martinez‘s best description.

“I was just at the right place at the right time,” the Kings’ overtime hero said. “[Tyler Toffoli] made a great play shooting far pad, and I was able to put it in. It’s not about me or the goal. It’s about the L.A. Kings and the guys in that room. We did something special. We knew we were a good team; now we know we’re a great team.”

Martinez didn’t want to talk too much about himself. Instead, he talked about the team — about the chemistry, the character, and the leadership of the group.

“We like each other. We love each other,” he said. “L.A.s the only thing I’ve ever known, being drafted here. But from what guys say that have played elsewhere, what we have here is pretty special, in terms of guys really liking each other, and that’s a testament to [general manager Dean Lombardi] putting together a group of guys like that.”

Latest Posts
  1. Blue Jackets’ Dubinsky had equipment held hostage

Sep 19, 2014, 10:23 AM EDT

Brandon Dubinsky AP

Understands what RFA Ryan Johansen is currently going through.

2. Penguins unveil third jersey

Sep 19, 2014, 9:47 AM EDT

Screen Shot 2014-09-19 at 9.22.14 AM

Going old school for upcoming season.

3. Quenneville plans to start Richards between Saad and Kane in Chicago

Sep 19, 2014, 8:46 AM EDT

Joel Quenneville AP

Hopes to find the right fit on his second line.

4. Bordeleau (back) out about three months, others Avs limp into camp

Sep 18, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT

Colorado Avalanche v San Jose Sharks Getty Images

Jamie McGinn and John Mitchell also rank among the already-wounded.

5. Bruins GM on Krug, Smith: ‘They’re not going anywhere’

Sep 18, 2014, 10:08 PM EDT

Torey Krug, Patrice Bergeron, Justin Florek, Reilly Smith, Kevan Miller AP

Peter Chiarelli also (kinda sorta) addressed Johnny Boychuk rumors.

6. Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’

Sep 18, 2014, 10:07 PM EDT

Josh Harding AP

He won’t be paid or count against the cap while he’s injured.

7. Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau

Sep 18, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT

Los Angeles Kings v Anaheim Ducks - Game Seven Getty Images

Maybe the English version of his book will be kinder?

8. Columbus reacts to Horton (back) being out indefinitely

Sep 18, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT

Dallas Stars v Columbus Blue Jackets Getty Images

At least the Blue Jackets’ GM is ruling out surgery.

9. Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’

Sep 18, 2014, 3:51 PM EDT

Toronto Maple Leafs v Philadelphia Flyers Getty Images

He’ll miss at least months, GM Ron Hextall said.

10. Jagr: ‘I want to play until 50′

Sep 18, 2014, 3:16 PM EDT

Jaromir Jagr, Travis Zajac AP

Hey, he’s got less than eight years to go.

11. Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks

Sep 18, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT

Willie Desjardins AP

“I don’t think I had a conversation with Torts until Christmas last year.”

12. Silent Blue: Armstrong will no longer comment on Schwartz

Sep 18, 2014, 2:24 PM EDT

Doug Armstrong AP

“The next time I’ll talk publicly about Jaden is when we sign him.”

13. Rangers to name new captain at end of camp

Sep 18, 2014, 12:36 PM EDT

McDonagh

And it’s probably going to be Ryan McDonagh.

14. Eakin, Dillon still without contracts in Dallas

Sep 18, 2014, 12:12 PM EDT

Cody Eakin, Corey Perry AP

Two key youngsters on a Stars team with high hopes.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches