Jun 14, 2014, 3:16 PM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens have parted ways with a hometown prospect.
The Canadiens traded 2009 first-round pick Louis Leblanc to the Anaheim Ducks for a 2015 conditional fifth-round pick. Leblanc was born in nearby Point-Claire, Quebec and was given a hero’s welcome when he was taken 18th overall by the host Canadiens.
In three seasons with the Habs organization, Leblanc has struggled to punch his way through to the NHL. In his career with the Canadiens he had five goals and 10 points, all coming in the 2011-12 season.
Since that season he’s played just eight games in the NHL and put up unimpressive numbers in the AHL with Hamilton. He had a career-high 13 goals and 28 points in 70 games with the Bulldogs this season.
Now he’ll get a change of scenery, and perhaps a weight off his shoulders going to the Ducks where he won’t have the pressure of being a Montreal-area kid trying to become the Habs savior. The Ducks are buying low on a guy who had a load of potential coming out of Harvard and hoping his game can take off at a new address.
UPDATE (4:30 p.m. ET): Renaud Lavoie of TVA Sports says the condition for the Habs to get that fifth-round pick is Leblanc has to play 15 games with the Ducks next season.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)