Jun 14, 2014, 3:16 PM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens have parted ways with a hometown prospect.
The Canadiens traded 2009 first-round pick Louis Leblanc to the Anaheim Ducks for a 2015 conditional fifth-round pick. Leblanc was born in nearby Point-Claire, Quebec and was given a hero’s welcome when he was taken 18th overall by the host Canadiens.
In three seasons with the Habs organization, Leblanc has struggled to punch his way through to the NHL. In his career with the Canadiens he had five goals and 10 points, all coming in the 2011-12 season.
Since that season he’s played just eight games in the NHL and put up unimpressive numbers in the AHL with Hamilton. He had a career-high 13 goals and 28 points in 70 games with the Bulldogs this season.
Now he’ll get a change of scenery, and perhaps a weight off his shoulders going to the Ducks where he won’t have the pressure of being a Montreal-area kid trying to become the Habs savior. The Ducks are buying low on a guy who had a load of potential coming out of Harvard and hoping his game can take off at a new address.
UPDATE (4:30 p.m. ET): Renaud Lavoie of TVA Sports says the condition for the Habs to get that fifth-round pick is Leblanc has to play 15 games with the Ducks next season.
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 12
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 13
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 31
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)