Jun 14, 2014, 3:16 PM EST
The Montreal Canadiens have parted ways with a hometown prospect.
The Canadiens traded 2009 first-round pick Louis Leblanc to the Anaheim Ducks for a 2015 conditional fifth-round pick. Leblanc was born in nearby Point-Claire, Quebec and was given a hero’s welcome when he was taken 18th overall by the host Canadiens.
In three seasons with the Habs organization, Leblanc has struggled to punch his way through to the NHL. In his career with the Canadiens he had five goals and 10 points, all coming in the 2011-12 season.
Since that season he’s played just eight games in the NHL and put up unimpressive numbers in the AHL with Hamilton. He had a career-high 13 goals and 28 points in 70 games with the Bulldogs this season.
Now he’ll get a change of scenery, and perhaps a weight off his shoulders going to the Ducks where he won’t have the pressure of being a Montreal-area kid trying to become the Habs savior. The Ducks are buying low on a guy who had a load of potential coming out of Harvard and hoping his game can take off at a new address.
UPDATE (4:30 p.m. ET): Renaud Lavoie of TVA Sports says the condition for the Habs to get that fifth-round pick is Leblanc has to play 15 games with the Ducks next season.
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 10
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 27
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 6
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 77
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 55
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (77)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)