Jun 13, 2014, 4:27 PM EST
New Canucks general manager Jim Benning spoke with Team 1040 radio this afternoon in Vancouver (audio). Here are the bullet points:
— There have already been “a couple of interviews” for the vacant head-coaching job, and there will be a “bunch more” next week.
— Benning was asked about the picture of him and former Canucks coach Marc Crawford having a coffee that’s floating around the interwebs, but didn’t say anything definitive about Crawford’s chances of getting the job. In all, six to eight candidates will be interviewed before a decision is made.
— Benning is looking for a “teaching style” coach and doesn’t believe that coaches who are “yellers and screamers” can be successful in the NHL anymore. No, he did not mention John Tortorella specifically.
— Benning also said that much of the due diligence on a coach has been done “before the guy shows up for the interview.”
My take? If I had to bet, I’d say Willie Desjardins — currently coaching AHL Texas in the Calder Cup finals — is the favorite. Desjardins likes to “move the puck and attack,” and Benning has said he wants his team to “play an up-tempo, fast-skating, skilled game.” Desjardins is also a teacher, not a yeller-and-screamer. Seems like a match there.
Kings assistant coach John Stevens and Portland Winterhawks coach Mike Johnston could also be in the mix.
PS — On the subject of Ryan Kesler, Benning said that he speaks with Kesler’s agent on “a daily basis.” (It’s expected that Kesler will be traded this offseason.)
PPS — Here’s a fun clip of Crawford yelling and screaming:
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 7
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 8
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 7
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 21
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 20
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 43
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 7
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 1
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 22
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)