Jun 13, 2014, 4:27 PM EDT
New Canucks general manager Jim Benning spoke with Team 1040 radio this afternoon in Vancouver (audio). Here are the bullet points:
— There have already been “a couple of interviews” for the vacant head-coaching job, and there will be a “bunch more” next week.
— Benning was asked about the picture of him and former Canucks coach Marc Crawford having a coffee that’s floating around the interwebs, but didn’t say anything definitive about Crawford’s chances of getting the job. In all, six to eight candidates will be interviewed before a decision is made.
— Benning is looking for a “teaching style” coach and doesn’t believe that coaches who are “yellers and screamers” can be successful in the NHL anymore. No, he did not mention John Tortorella specifically.
— Benning also said that much of the due diligence on a coach has been done “before the guy shows up for the interview.”
My take? If I had to bet, I’d say Willie Desjardins — currently coaching AHL Texas in the Calder Cup finals — is the favorite. Desjardins likes to “move the puck and attack,” and Benning has said he wants his team to “play an up-tempo, fast-skating, skilled game.” Desjardins is also a teacher, not a yeller-and-screamer. Seems like a match there.
Kings assistant coach John Stevens and Portland Winterhawks coach Mike Johnston could also be in the mix.
PS — On the subject of Ryan Kesler, Benning said that he speaks with Kesler’s agent on “a daily basis.” (It’s expected that Kesler will be traded this offseason.)
PPS — Here’s a fun clip of Crawford yelling and screaming:
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)