Video: Lundqvist, special teams power Rangers to 2-1 lead

Jun 13, 2014, 10:07 PM EST

The New York Rangers carry a 2-1 lead into the third period of Game 5 against the Los Angeles Kings because of special teams and a special goalie.

They entered the middle frame down 1-0 after Justin Williamsgoal, yet the Rangers managed to hang in there. Chris Kreider‘s power-play goal tied things up:

Henrik Lundqvist continues to play excellent hockey in elimination situations, as he stopped hard-charging attempts, especially Kyle Clifford‘s drive here:

Brian Boyle‘s had some big moments, too. Slava Voynov seemed to be all alone for a prime power-play chance, yet Boyle managed to block his shot. He then left the Staples Center crowd stunned by scoring a shorthanded goal in the waning moments of the second period:

The question is: can the Rangers manage more special moments and close Game 5 out? Chances are, the Kings are going to demand that of them.

1. billiam55 - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:08 PM

THATS WHAT I CALL EFFORT BY HAGS AND BOYLE.

2. sjsharks66 - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:28 PM

So far you can tell the Rangers want this win more then the Kings. Let’s hope for Kings fans sake that they don’t feel comfortable with the 3-1 series lead. As a Sharks fan, I know that experience and feeling all too well.

3. comeonnowguys - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:38 PM

That may be of one of the most important terrible calls I have seen in a long time.

• davidmessina63 - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:42 PM

I’m neutral on this series and never a ref blamer but yeah….that was a pretty brutal call. The king sold it well though.

• nicknyhc - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:43 PM

The integrity of the game has taken a backseat to ensuring the fan base out West grows. Sad but true.

• comeonnowguys - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:44 PM

Oh yeah, that is not the worst call, but it is brutal call at a brutal time for the Rangers.

• einjzmolf - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:42 PM

Cup’s gonna come out with a zebra stripe bowtie on it..

• comeonnowguys - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:47 PM

I think that is going a bit far. It is a terrible call. Not a conspiracy.

• nicknyhc - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:49 PM

…just like the terrible call against Moore and the terrible call on Pouliot. Too many bad calls all going one way.

Not to mention, if the officials in game 3 had a decent pair of eyes between the four of them then this series would be 2-2 right now.

4. einjzmolf - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:49 PM

It’s just some light humour, don’t take it too seriously. Just trying to rise a few chuckles :)

• comeonnowguys - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:51 PM

Sorry. I am on my phone viewing the desktop site. I meant that for the comment about growing hockey out west.

• einjzmolf - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:56 PM

Yeah, I’m on my phone and I swore I hit reply but here I am looking like a fool so I feel your pain haha

More than a Stanley Cup hangover?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches