Jun 13, 2014, 12:59 PM EDT
The AHL Texas Stars have a 2-1 series lead in the Calder Cup Final. Win or lose, it might prove to be head coach Willie Desjardins’ final games with the team as he is likely to attract attention from NHL squads looking for a head coach (currently the Vancouver Canucks, Pittsburgh Penguins, Carolina Hurricanes, and Florida Panthers) once the playoffs are over.
“The teams have been very conscientious about the playoffs, so they haven’t asked for permission yet, but I’ll definitely grant it,” Dallas Stars GM Jim Nill told the Dallas Morning News. “I believe you want to allow your people to advance, because it’s good for the entire organization. You want your players to advance to the NHL, and you want your coaches and trainers or managers to advance. I think that’s the right way to do things.”
In addition to guiding Texas to the finals this year, he was also named the AHL coach of the year in 2013. Some of the other recently winners include Tampa Bay head coach Jon Cooper (2012) and top Penguins coaching candidate John Hynes (2011).
As previously noted, Desjardins favors a fast-paced attacking style that would seem to mesh with new Vancouver Canucks GM Jim Benning’s philosophy, but he might also challenge Hynes and others for Pittsburgh’s top job.
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 22
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 34
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)