Jun 13, 2014, 12:59 PM EST
The AHL Texas Stars have a 2-1 series lead in the Calder Cup Final. Win or lose, it might prove to be head coach Willie Desjardins’ final games with the team as he is likely to attract attention from NHL squads looking for a head coach (currently the Vancouver Canucks, Pittsburgh Penguins, Carolina Hurricanes, and Florida Panthers) once the playoffs are over.
“The teams have been very conscientious about the playoffs, so they haven’t asked for permission yet, but I’ll definitely grant it,” Dallas Stars GM Jim Nill told the Dallas Morning News. “I believe you want to allow your people to advance, because it’s good for the entire organization. You want your players to advance to the NHL, and you want your coaches and trainers or managers to advance. I think that’s the right way to do things.”
In addition to guiding Texas to the finals this year, he was also named the AHL coach of the year in 2013. Some of the other recently winners include Tampa Bay head coach Jon Cooper (2012) and top Penguins coaching candidate John Hynes (2011).
As previously noted, Desjardins favors a fast-paced attacking style that would seem to mesh with new Vancouver Canucks GM Jim Benning’s philosophy, but he might also challenge Hynes and others for Pittsburgh’s top job.
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 7
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 15
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 15
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 61
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 28
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)