Jun 13, 2014, 12:30 AM EDT
In the mind of Alain Vigneault, Rick Nash has done many positive things for the New York Rangers in these Stanley Cup playoffs.
He just hasn’t been scoring, which has been an issue in the two previous times the 29-year-old Nash was in the post-season.
“I mean, he’s doing everything that I think you want from a player. He’s going to the tough areas. He’s shooting the puck. He’s going hard on the forecheck. He’s being physical. He’s creating turnovers,” Vigneault, the Rangers’ head coach, told reporters on Thursday, the day after his team staved off a sweep in the Stanley Cup Final against the L.A. Kings.
“You know, all I can say right now is I got to believe by playing the way he is right now, he will get rewarded. I’m hoping that’s going to be tomorrow.”
The Rangers, down 3-1 in the series, need three more wins in order to win their first championship since 1994.
Nash’s struggles to score in the post-season go beyond this year; he had two goals in a combined 16 playoff games prior to this spring. The tale of his post-season woes has been interesting, especially again this year.
Some examples of the ever-evolving story line:
- Habs sign Petry to a six-year, $33 million extension 17
- ‘Home-grown talent’ a staple of Blackhawks and Lightning 4
- A holdover from the ‘dark days,’ does Sharp have a future in Chicago? 51
- Bishop: ‘Taller guys…can be just as athletic as the smaller guys’ 6
- Tire pump? Yzerman says Toews is ‘bigger, stronger, better’ than he was 21
- Devils officially announce John Hynes, becomes youngest NHL coach 9
- PHT arrives in Tampa, gets soaked (oh, and today is Media Day) 6
- Ex-Leafs goalie Pogge eyeing North American return 5
- Poll: Should the Ducks fire Boudreau? 86
- Zuccarello (brain contusion, skull fracture) was unable to speak after injury 28
- ‘Hawks rise to occasion in Game 7, head to SCF for third time in six years (95)
- Poll: Should the Ducks fire Boudreau? (86)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (76)
- Is it fair to hold cap teams to old dynasty standards? (74)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (65)