Jun 13, 2014, 12:54 PM EDT
From Hockey Canada to the Edmonton Oilers. Bob Nicholson is now the vice-chairman of Oilers Entertainment Group, the club announced Friday morning.
From the Oilers:
In his role as Vice-Chairman, Mr. Nicholson will work closely with Daryl Katz, Kevin Lowe and Patrick LaForge to expand the group’s sports and entertainment offerings, deliver outstanding fan experiences, secure major new sponsorships and events, and operate Rogers Place. Currently under construction, Rogers Place will be North America’s leading sports and entertainment venue when it opens its doors in September 2016. Mr. Nicholson will also serve as an Alternate Governor for the Edmonton Oilers on the NHL Board of Governors.
Kevin Lowe has been named Vice-Chairman of the new organization, and will continue to play a leadership role with the organization’s Hockey Operations. Patrick LaForge has been named President and Chief Operating Officer of OEG and will be responsible for the group’s business operations.
“He has been an innovator in driving new sport-based revenue models & we feel very fortunate he has chosen to move to Edmonton,” said Daryl Katz, owner of the Oilers, as per the team’s Twitter account.
Nicholson was the president and CEO of Hockey Canada since 1998, but informed the organization in April that he’d be stepping down.
- Report: Wild’s Harding likely out months, not weeks 0
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 9
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 38
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 17
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 7
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 59
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (60)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (46)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)