Jun 13, 2014, 3:16 PM EST
Next March, Kimmo Timonen will turn 40 years of age.
Yet, the Philadelphia Flyers still have confidence that the veteran defenseman can still play in the National Hockey League, as evident by the one-year contract extension Timonen signed – a deal that was announced Friday.
“Biggest key is whether Kimmo thinks he can play and has enough in the tank,” said Flyers general manager Ron Hextall, as per Tim Panaccio of CSN Philadelphia.
“He is still a very effective player,” added the GM.
Timonen celebrated his 39th birthday only a few months ago. He finished fifth on the Flyers in ice time during the regular season, but was third on the team in that category during the first round of the playoffs against the New York Rangers.
He proved last season that he can still be a critical part of Philadelphia’s power play, with 19 assists and 20 points on the man advantage. Only Claude Giroux had more helpers on the power play than Timonen.
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 0
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 2
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 6
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 12
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 82
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (82)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)