Jun 13, 2014, 1:16 PM EDT
Trade rumours have been circulating around Boston Bruins forward Brad Marchand, however the team’s general manager Peter Chiarelli shot those down on Friday.
According to Joe Haggerty of CSNNE.com, these latest rumours involved Marchand and San Jose Sharks veteran forward Patrick Marleau.
“I have had no discussions for Marchand and I have no plans to trade him,” Chiarelli told CSNNE.com. “I don’t make it a practice to respond to reports in the social media, but occasionally it is necessary.”
Interesting, because this isn’t the first time Chiarelli has had to speak on Marchand trade speculation.
The 26-year-old winger has certainly created his share of controversy across the league – remember him in Vancouver this past December, taunting the Canucks and their fans in Boston’s first visit back to Rogers Arena since winning the Stanley Cup there in 2011? – and that has led to talk that perhaps the Bruins, fed up with his act, would look to move him.
Chiarelli addressed Marchand’s issue of sometimes crossing the line between effective agitator and aggressive forward to costing himself and the team in May, after the Bruins were knocked out of the Stanley Cup playoffs in the second round by rival Montreal.
“Every year I seem to have this comment about him finding a balance between irritant/agitator and real good player. I think sometimes his antics gets in the way,” said Chiarelli.
“This has been a discussion I’ve had, [coach Claude Julien’s] had over the course of three, four, five years, and it’s a challenge for Brad to play that aggressive way and not to cross the line.”
Marchand is just about to enter the second year of a four-year deal with the Bruins. It comes with an annual cap hit of $4.5 million.
Jul 2, 2015, 2:57 PM EDT
Leagues will continue to respect each other’s contracts. But that’s it.
Jul 2, 2015, 2:52 PM EDT
Pleads no contest to misdemeanor count of corporal injury to a spouse.
Jul 2, 2015, 2:11 PM EDT
Boughner coached against DeBoer in the OHL, Hedberg played for him in New Jersey.
Jul 2, 2015, 2:02 PM EDT
The Mike Gillis era is just a memory now.
Jul 2, 2015, 1:46 PM EDT
Former Hart Trophy winner announced his retirement on Thursday.
Jul 2, 2015, 1:35 PM EDT
Pittsburgh? Florida? New Jersey? KHL?
Jul 2, 2015, 1:29 PM EDT
“At some point Justin became more affordable to us, and we started to lean his way.”
Jul 2, 2015, 12:36 PM EDT
“At the end of the day, nobody wants to get traded two times. But it’s a learning curve.”
Jul 2, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
But reports suggest Edmonton, Columbus and Philly are interested.
Jul 2, 2015, 12:07 PM EDT
24-year-old has appeared in 220 NHL contests, all with Nashville.
Jul 2, 2015, 10:52 AM EDT
Yes, the same Jim Rutherford who was the GM in Carolina for two decades.
Jul 2, 2015, 9:53 AM EDT
He didn’t want to make his intentions known until he was drafted.
Jul 2, 2015, 8:56 AM EDT
He was playing with the Winnipeg Jets before heading to Croatia.
Jul 2, 2015, 8:03 AM EDT
Thursday’s collection of links.
Jul 2, 2015, 12:43 AM EDT
Some interesting players still need deals.
Jul 1, 2015, 11:15 PM EDT
All the signings from what promises to be a busy day.
Jul 1, 2015, 10:37 PM EDT
Quite the steal.
Jul 1, 2015, 9:40 PM EDT
Adding some veteran help.
Jul 1, 2015, 9:10 PM EDT
“Young guns” no more?
Jul 1, 2015, 8:08 PM EDT
It’s reportedly worth $7.5 million.
- BREAKING: Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 5
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 19
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 9
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 2
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 43
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 26
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 49
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)