Jun 13, 2014, 1:16 PM EST
Trade rumours have been circulating around Boston Bruins forward Brad Marchand, however the team’s general manager Peter Chiarelli shot those down on Friday.
According to Joe Haggerty of CSNNE.com, these latest rumours involved Marchand and San Jose Sharks veteran forward Patrick Marleau.
“I have had no discussions for Marchand and I have no plans to trade him,” Chiarelli told CSNNE.com. “I don’t make it a practice to respond to reports in the social media, but occasionally it is necessary.”
Interesting, because this isn’t the first time Chiarelli has had to speak on Marchand trade speculation.
The 26-year-old winger has certainly created his share of controversy across the league – remember him in Vancouver this past December, taunting the Canucks and their fans in Boston’s first visit back to Rogers Arena since winning the Stanley Cup there in 2011? – and that has led to talk that perhaps the Bruins, fed up with his act, would look to move him.
Chiarelli addressed Marchand’s issue of sometimes crossing the line between effective agitator and aggressive forward to costing himself and the team in May, after the Bruins were knocked out of the Stanley Cup playoffs in the second round by rival Montreal.
“Every year I seem to have this comment about him finding a balance between irritant/agitator and real good player. I think sometimes his antics gets in the way,” said Chiarelli.
“This has been a discussion I’ve had, [coach Claude Julien’s] had over the course of three, four, five years, and it’s a challenge for Brad to play that aggressive way and not to cross the line.”
Marchand is just about to enter the second year of a four-year deal with the Bruins. It comes with an annual cap hit of $4.5 million.
Mar 5, 2015, 11:29 AM EST
Florida takes on Dallas tonight as the fight for the playoffs continues.
Mar 5, 2015, 9:46 AM EST
May not be a good sign regarding Michael Latta.
Mar 5, 2015, 9:18 AM EST
J.T. Brown is banged up.
Mar 5, 2015, 8:35 AM EST
Mar 5, 2015, 1:47 AM EST
Four straight wins for Anaheim.
Mar 5, 2015, 1:04 AM EST
Fighting for tops in the Metropolitan Division.
Mar 5, 2015, 12:19 AM EST
What a roll he and the Sens are on.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:36 PM EST
He’s been consistently putting the puck in the net at the NHL level since 1996.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:06 PM EST
What better way to make an impression on new teammates.
Mar 4, 2015, 10:40 PM EST
Mar 4, 2015, 9:49 PM EST
Big Buff out could be a Big Loss for Winnipeg.
Mar 4, 2015, 9:26 PM EST
Good news for NYR.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:48 PM EST
Big Buff doing Big Buff things.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:26 PM EST
Also, for causing “significant injury.”
Mar 4, 2015, 7:23 PM EST
8 p.m. ET, on NBCSN
Mar 4, 2015, 6:50 PM EST
“It’s definitely an issue that needs a collective focus from our managers and the league in terms of how to deal with it.”
Mar 4, 2015, 6:18 PM EST
“It’s probably undeniable that down the road when [Chara] is done with his career, if Bergeron is here it would be pretty hard to not make him the next captain.”
Mar 4, 2015, 5:30 PM EST
An Original Six matchup at the Joe.
Mar 4, 2015, 4:43 PM EST
Has appeared in just three games for the Blue Jackets since being traded from Toronto.
Mar 4, 2015, 4:13 PM EST
‘Hawks are hoping he can “recapture” his early-season form.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 4
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 50
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)