Jun 13, 2014, 10:05 AM EDT
Goaltender Martin Brodeur has resisted speculation about his retirement in the past, but at the age of 42 he realizes his career is coming to a close.
“(2014-15 is) going to be probably my last year,” Brodeur told the Bergen Record. “You never know what kind of energy I’m going to get from my decision, but I’m not looking for anything more than one year that’s for sure.”
Brodeur intends to exercise his right to test the unrestricted free agent market, but he hasn’t shut the door on re-signing with New Jersey, if they’ll have him. That’s not the lock it once was because while the Devils would certainly love for him to finish his career with them, they need to fully embrace the Cory Schneider era.
If Brodeur did return for the 2014-15 campaign, it would likely be with the understanding that Schneider would receive far more than the 43 starts he got last season. That might not be something Brodeur would go for if he felt like another team might offer him more playing time.
Whatever happens though, he’s leaving on good terms and with the intention of returning after his playing career is over.
“This organization means everything to me,” he said. “I don’t feel pushed out. I feel appreciated in all ways as far as what I can bring as far as leadership and from the fan base. That’s something that will never go away.
“But, like any competitor, you want to play.”
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (83)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)