Jun 13, 2014, 11:03 AM EDT
With the New York Rangers on the brink of elimination, Rangers coach Alain Vigneault gave forward Brad Richards a 2014 playoffs-low 13:20 minutes of ice time in Game 4. That decision didn’t come as much of a surprise to Richards.
“I haven’t been where I need to be this series, so my ice time has been lower,” Richards said, per Newsday.
“You go try to win a game . . . If you’re down 3-nothing, there’s something that has to change.”
Richards has no points and a minus-six rating in his last six contests. He has just 11 points in 24 contests in the playoffs.
This is the second straight year he’s underwhelmed in the playoffs. He also found himself in former Rangers coach John Tortorella’s doghouse during the 2013 postseason until he finally ended up being listed as a healthy scratch.
It hasn’t gotten quite that bad this time around for Richards and with the Rangers still down 3-1 against the Los Angeles Kings, he still has an opportunity to bounce back and maybe extend the Rangers’ campaign at the same time.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 10
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)