Jun 13, 2014, 11:03 AM EDT
With the New York Rangers on the brink of elimination, Rangers coach Alain Vigneault gave forward Brad Richards a 2014 playoffs-low 13:20 minutes of ice time in Game 4. That decision didn’t come as much of a surprise to Richards.
“I haven’t been where I need to be this series, so my ice time has been lower,” Richards said, per Newsday.
“You go try to win a game . . . If you’re down 3-nothing, there’s something that has to change.”
Richards has no points and a minus-six rating in his last six contests. He has just 11 points in 24 contests in the playoffs.
This is the second straight year he’s underwhelmed in the playoffs. He also found himself in former Rangers coach John Tortorella’s doghouse during the 2013 postseason until he finally ended up being listed as a healthy scratch.
It hasn’t gotten quite that bad this time around for Richards and with the Rangers still down 3-1 against the Los Angeles Kings, he still has an opportunity to bounce back and maybe extend the Rangers’ campaign at the same time.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 27
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 76
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (77)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)