Jun 13, 2014, 11:03 AM EDT
With the New York Rangers on the brink of elimination, Rangers coach Alain Vigneault gave forward Brad Richards a 2014 playoffs-low 13:20 minutes of ice time in Game 4. That decision didn’t come as much of a surprise to Richards.
“I haven’t been where I need to be this series, so my ice time has been lower,” Richards said, per Newsday.
“You go try to win a game . . . If you’re down 3-nothing, there’s something that has to change.”
Richards has no points and a minus-six rating in his last six contests. He has just 11 points in 24 contests in the playoffs.
This is the second straight year he’s underwhelmed in the playoffs. He also found himself in former Rangers coach John Tortorella’s doghouse during the 2013 postseason until he finally ended up being listed as a healthy scratch.
It hasn’t gotten quite that bad this time around for Richards and with the Rangers still down 3-1 against the Los Angeles Kings, he still has an opportunity to bounce back and maybe extend the Rangers’ campaign at the same time.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 21
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 38
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)