Jun 13, 2014, 11:03 AM EDT
With the New York Rangers on the brink of elimination, Rangers coach Alain Vigneault gave forward Brad Richards a 2014 playoffs-low 13:20 minutes of ice time in Game 4. That decision didn’t come as much of a surprise to Richards.
“I haven’t been where I need to be this series, so my ice time has been lower,” Richards said, per Newsday.
“You go try to win a game . . . If you’re down 3-nothing, there’s something that has to change.”
Richards has no points and a minus-six rating in his last six contests. He has just 11 points in 24 contests in the playoffs.
This is the second straight year he’s underwhelmed in the playoffs. He also found himself in former Rangers coach John Tortorella’s doghouse during the 2013 postseason until he finally ended up being listed as a healthy scratch.
It hasn’t gotten quite that bad this time around for Richards and with the Rangers still down 3-1 against the Los Angeles Kings, he still has an opportunity to bounce back and maybe extend the Rangers’ campaign at the same time.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 12
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 13
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)