Jun 13, 2014, 11:03 AM EDT
With the New York Rangers on the brink of elimination, Rangers coach Alain Vigneault gave forward Brad Richards a 2014 playoffs-low 13:20 minutes of ice time in Game 4. That decision didn’t come as much of a surprise to Richards.
“I haven’t been where I need to be this series, so my ice time has been lower,” Richards said, per Newsday.
“You go try to win a game . . . If you’re down 3-nothing, there’s something that has to change.”
Richards has no points and a minus-six rating in his last six contests. He has just 11 points in 24 contests in the playoffs.
This is the second straight year he’s underwhelmed in the playoffs. He also found himself in former Rangers coach John Tortorella’s doghouse during the 2013 postseason until he finally ended up being listed as a healthy scratch.
It hasn’t gotten quite that bad this time around for Richards and with the Rangers still down 3-1 against the Los Angeles Kings, he still has an opportunity to bounce back and maybe extend the Rangers’ campaign at the same time.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 68
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 32
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 22
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)