Jun 13, 2014, 2:43 PM EDT
The Binghamton Senators and Syracuse Crunch of the American Hockey League are taking upcoming training camps overseas.
The Senators announced Friday they will hold camp in Lyon, France, and will play the Crunch, as well as the LHC Lions in a three-game pre-season tournament, beginning Oct. 2.
The Crunch already has a season-long partnership with the LHC, which competes in the Magnus League, the top tier in France, according to the Senators.
“The opportunity to hold our training camp in France is one that we’re looking forward to for a number of different reasons,” said Senators general manager Randy Lee in a statement.
“With three games in just over a week, the schedule provides more than sufficient time for both competition and the chance to experience French culture, while also offering some unique team-building opportunities for the group.”
The players seem excited about the trip, too.
“We won’t know anybody. We’ll be forced to be with each other. Cheese-tasting together, take selfies with the Eiffel Tower,” Crunch defenseman Joey Mormina told the Post-Standard in Syracuse.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 16
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)