Jun 13, 2014, 2:43 PM EDT
The Binghamton Senators and Syracuse Crunch of the American Hockey League are taking upcoming training camps overseas.
The Senators announced Friday they will hold camp in Lyon, France, and will play the Crunch, as well as the LHC Lions in a three-game pre-season tournament, beginning Oct. 2.
The Crunch already has a season-long partnership with the LHC, which competes in the Magnus League, the top tier in France, according to the Senators.
“The opportunity to hold our training camp in France is one that we’re looking forward to for a number of different reasons,” said Senators general manager Randy Lee in a statement.
“With three games in just over a week, the schedule provides more than sufficient time for both competition and the chance to experience French culture, while also offering some unique team-building opportunities for the group.”
The players seem excited about the trip, too.
“We won’t know anybody. We’ll be forced to be with each other. Cheese-tasting together, take selfies with the Eiffel Tower,” Crunch defenseman Joey Mormina told the Post-Standard in Syracuse.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)