Jun 12, 2014, 9:20 AM EST
Check PHT each weekday for the first four weeks of June for a new pending unrestricted free agent of the day. Today’s UFA of the Day is…
The best day of the year for Gaborik — at least so far — had to be March 5 when the Columbus Blue Jackets traded him to the Los Angeles Kings.
Before that, Gaborik was starting to look like a player on the decline. He was once again plagued by injuries this season and didn’t seem to fit in with the Blue Jackets during the brief periods of time that he was healthy. Combine that with a lackluster 2013 campaign and we started to have the makings of a trend.
The Kings have proven to be a great fit for him though as he was able to quickly connect with Anze Kopitar. He asserted himself as the missing element on a team that had struggled offensively and with the Kings just one victory away from claiming the Stanley Cup, Gaborik is arguably a Conn Smythe Trophy candidate with 13 goals and 21 points in 25 contests.
After all he’s done for them, the Kings would presumably love to have him back, but his success might have priced them out of the market, as they already have $62.3 million in cap space committed to 18 players, per LA Kings Insider.
He will still be a high-risk signing given his recent and historic health problems, but that was true when he hit the market in 2009 as well and that didn’t deter the Rangers from handing him a five-year, $37.5 million deal. Teams might seek a shorter contract length this time around given Gaborik’s age, but he will likely be looking for a similar annual salary, and he might get it given his status as one of the best skill forwards projected to be on the market.
- NHL on NBCSN: Penguins kick off Rivalry Night vs. Capitals 0
- PHT Morning Skate: Saying goodbye to Martin Brodeur (plus a brutal Sidney Crosby typo) 3
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 49
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 16
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 127
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (57)