Jun 12, 2014, 1:32 PM EDT
By now you know Jason Spezza‘s future will have him playing somewhere other than Ottawa next season. Where will he go? He’ll have a say in that to a degree.
Renaud Lavoie of TVA Sports reports Spezza has given Senators GM Bryan Murray a list of 10 teams he won’t accept a trade to. Spezza has a modified no-movement clause in his contract that allows him to do that. As for who the 10 teams are, feel free to make your guesses.
It was reported on Wednesday Spezza asked the team to trade him and made it concrete that he was going to be moved. Rumors he would be traded started early in Ottawa’s offseason. Now that he’s got a list of teams he won’t accept a trade, it’s just a matter of time before the two part ways.
Spezza has played for the Senators his entire 11-year career. He was the second overall pick of the Sens in the 2001 draft. This will make the second consecutive summer a Senators captain will depart the team. Daniel Alfredsson did the same last summer via free agency. You may have heard a little bit about that.
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 6
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 35
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 16
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 52
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54