Jun 12, 2014, 12:50 PM EDT
Just one year after being bought out by the Tampa Bay Lightning and inked to a five-year, $22.5 million contract with the Philadelphia Flyers, Vincent Lecavalier could find himself on the move again, per TSN.
That’s hardly shocking after the year he had with Philadelphia, which culminated in him averaging just 10:41 minutes per game in the playoffs.
He has a no-movement clause though and while Flyers GM Ron Hextall has reportedly already talked to his agent, Kent Hughes, about the possibility of trading him, it remains to be seen if Lecavalier will veto any potential trade.
There might be a bigger road block though: the market for him, or more specifically if there even is one. It might sound silly to assume that there aren’t teams that would jump through hoops to get him, but he’s 34 years old now and hasn’t recorded more than 54 points in any of his last four campaigns.
Injuries have played a role in that, but given his age and recent history, it seems entirely possible that he will continue to deal with health problems going forward. Combine that with the fact that he has four seasons left on his contract and it starts to become clear why Philadelphia might not want him and why other teams might decide to pass as well.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)