Jun 12, 2014, 10:50 AM EST
If defenseman Dan Boyle hits the free agent market, he could end up with the Maple Leafs. Toronto is high on Boyle’s list of potential destinations, according to TSN, but first he has to decide if the New York Islanders are an option.
After the San Jose Sharks declared their intention to part ways with the soon-to-be 38-year-old defenseman, the Islanders acquired his negotiating rights for a conditional fifth-round pick in the 2015 draft.
The Islanders have already made him an offer, but he hasn’t committed to negotiating with them yet and a recent report suggested that the odds are heavily stacked against him signing him them. Either way, he’s expected to inform Islanders GM Garth Snow of his plans this week.
Boyle is reportedly seeking a two-year deal and he might get it after scoring 12 goals and 36 points in 75 contests. However, following his six-year, $40 million contract, his salary demands might be too high for Toronto.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 2
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 16
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)