Jun 12, 2014, 10:50 AM EDT
If defenseman Dan Boyle hits the free agent market, he could end up with the Maple Leafs. Toronto is high on Boyle’s list of potential destinations, according to TSN, but first he has to decide if the New York Islanders are an option.
After the San Jose Sharks declared their intention to part ways with the soon-to-be 38-year-old defenseman, the Islanders acquired his negotiating rights for a conditional fifth-round pick in the 2015 draft.
The Islanders have already made him an offer, but he hasn’t committed to negotiating with them yet and a recent report suggested that the odds are heavily stacked against him signing him them. Either way, he’s expected to inform Islanders GM Garth Snow of his plans this week.
Boyle is reportedly seeking a two-year deal and he might get it after scoring 12 goals and 36 points in 75 contests. However, following his six-year, $40 million contract, his salary demands might be too high for Toronto.
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 7
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 65
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)