Jun 12, 2014, 10:50 AM EDT
If defenseman Dan Boyle hits the free agent market, he could end up with the Maple Leafs. Toronto is high on Boyle’s list of potential destinations, according to TSN, but first he has to decide if the New York Islanders are an option.
After the San Jose Sharks declared their intention to part ways with the soon-to-be 38-year-old defenseman, the Islanders acquired his negotiating rights for a conditional fifth-round pick in the 2015 draft.
The Islanders have already made him an offer, but he hasn’t committed to negotiating with them yet and a recent report suggested that the odds are heavily stacked against him signing him them. Either way, he’s expected to inform Islanders GM Garth Snow of his plans this week.
Boyle is reportedly seeking a two-year deal and he might get it after scoring 12 goals and 36 points in 75 contests. However, following his six-year, $40 million contract, his salary demands might be too high for Toronto.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 1
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 5
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 9
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 1
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)