Jun 12, 2014, 5:34 PM EST
The Nashville Predators new goalie coach is a familiar face to the organization.
The team announced they’ve hired Ben Vanderklok to take over the position from Mitch Korn who was not brought back. Vanderklok spent the past five years as Korn’s assistant.
The experience he has with the organization is vast as he’s worked with next season’s likely tandem of Pekka Rinne and Carter Hutton as well as numerous others who have come through Nashville and Milwaukee in the AHL.
In the team’s release, GM David Poile says hiring Vanderklok was the right call.
“Ben has worked closely with all the goaltenders in our organization and has been integral in their development and success while learning from one of the best in Mitch Korn,” Poile said. “This is a natural fit to have Ben transition into the lead role, and his relationship with Pekka Rinne and Carter Hutton will make this process seamless.”
As for Korn, Joshua Cooper of The Tennessean reports he’s headed to the Washington Capitals to be their new goalie coach. After years in the Predators organization and doing wonders with their goalies, he’ll have a chance to help Braden Holtby and Philipp Grubauer hold things down in D.C.
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 17
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 22
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 15
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 74
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 20
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 28
- Video: Fight erupts between Penguins and Capitals inside Pittsburgh’s bench 40
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (75)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)