Jun 12, 2014, 5:34 PM EDT
The Nashville Predators new goalie coach is a familiar face to the organization.
The team announced they’ve hired Ben Vanderklok to take over the position from Mitch Korn who was not brought back. Vanderklok spent the past five years as Korn’s assistant.
The experience he has with the organization is vast as he’s worked with next season’s likely tandem of Pekka Rinne and Carter Hutton as well as numerous others who have come through Nashville and Milwaukee in the AHL.
In the team’s release, GM David Poile says hiring Vanderklok was the right call.
“Ben has worked closely with all the goaltenders in our organization and has been integral in their development and success while learning from one of the best in Mitch Korn,” Poile said. “This is a natural fit to have Ben transition into the lead role, and his relationship with Pekka Rinne and Carter Hutton will make this process seamless.”
As for Korn, Joshua Cooper of The Tennessean reports he’s headed to the Washington Capitals to be their new goalie coach. After years in the Predators organization and doing wonders with their goalies, he’ll have a chance to help Braden Holtby and Philipp Grubauer hold things down in D.C.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 45
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)