Jun 12, 2014, 5:34 PM EDT
The Nashville Predators new goalie coach is a familiar face to the organization.
The team announced they’ve hired Ben Vanderklok to take over the position from Mitch Korn who was not brought back. Vanderklok spent the past five years as Korn’s assistant.
The experience he has with the organization is vast as he’s worked with next season’s likely tandem of Pekka Rinne and Carter Hutton as well as numerous others who have come through Nashville and Milwaukee in the AHL.
In the team’s release, GM David Poile says hiring Vanderklok was the right call.
“Ben has worked closely with all the goaltenders in our organization and has been integral in their development and success while learning from one of the best in Mitch Korn,” Poile said. “This is a natural fit to have Ben transition into the lead role, and his relationship with Pekka Rinne and Carter Hutton will make this process seamless.”
As for Korn, Joshua Cooper of The Tennessean reports he’s headed to the Washington Capitals to be their new goalie coach. After years in the Predators organization and doing wonders with their goalies, he’ll have a chance to help Braden Holtby and Philipp Grubauer hold things down in D.C.
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 3
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 5
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 8
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 14
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)