Jun 12, 2014, 5:34 PM EDT
The Nashville Predators new goalie coach is a familiar face to the organization.
The team announced they’ve hired Ben Vanderklok to take over the position from Mitch Korn who was not brought back. Vanderklok spent the past five years as Korn’s assistant.
The experience he has with the organization is vast as he’s worked with next season’s likely tandem of Pekka Rinne and Carter Hutton as well as numerous others who have come through Nashville and Milwaukee in the AHL.
In the team’s release, GM David Poile says hiring Vanderklok was the right call.
“Ben has worked closely with all the goaltenders in our organization and has been integral in their development and success while learning from one of the best in Mitch Korn,” Poile said. “This is a natural fit to have Ben transition into the lead role, and his relationship with Pekka Rinne and Carter Hutton will make this process seamless.”
As for Korn, Joshua Cooper of The Tennessean reports he’s headed to the Washington Capitals to be their new goalie coach. After years in the Predators organization and doing wonders with their goalies, he’ll have a chance to help Braden Holtby and Philipp Grubauer hold things down in D.C.
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 7
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 4
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 37
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: Backes crashes into Daley, falls to ice hard (Updated) 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (61)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)