Jun 12, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
There’s no question that teams would jump at the chance to pry defenseman Shea Weber away from the Nashville Predators — as Philadelphia once tried to do — but GM David Poile isn’t interested in listening to offers.
“We’re keeping him, we’re building our franchise around him,” Poile said. “I think we’ve got one of the best young defenses in the league. I think he’s got an excellent chance of winning the Norris Trophy in 11 or 12 days from now.
“Why wouldn’t we build our team around him? That’s exactly what we’re doing. We just need one or two forwards and when we get that, you’ll be saying, `Imagine that someone ever thought they would trade Shea Weber?’ No, we are not trading Shea Weber.’”
It’s worth noting that, possibly in an attempt to financially muscle the Predators out of matching their offer sheet, the Flyers made sure that Weber’s contract was severely front-loaded in a way that wouldn’t be permitted under the new CBA. Weber will earn $14 million annually through the 2015-16 campaign even though his cap hit is roughly half that. However, if the small-market Predators can endure that stretch, then his salary will begin to decline.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)