Jun 12, 2014, 6:34 PM EDT
According to the statement of defense Kane admitted to a British Columbia court, he says the plaintiff, Les Makievsky, was aggressively confrontational with him and led to the incident. Mike McIntyre of the Winnipeg Free Press shares the story.
“When the defendant (Kane) attempted to walk away, the plaintiff (Makievsky) said ‘Let’s go’ and suggested the defendant should engage in a physical fight with him,” the statement of defense reads.
That would seem to be unwise to challenge a NHL player to a fight, especially a guy who has some highlight knockouts on his record.
Kane said he turned down the invitation to fight and kept walking. He then said Makievsky “charged” at him swinging his fists. Rather than get punched, Kane admitted to punching him three times in self defense. Kane then added Makievsky got up and took another swing at him before he pushed him to the ground and left the scene.
Kane had to provide a statement of defense in order to challenge the lawsuit. A hearing date hasn’t been set.
As for Makievsky, he said he was jumped by Kane. He’s suing Kane for physical damages suffered and to recover money from medical treatment.
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 11
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 30
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)