Jun 12, 2014, 6:34 PM EST
According to the statement of defense Kane admitted to a British Columbia court, he says the plaintiff, Les Makievsky, was aggressively confrontational with him and led to the incident. Mike McIntyre of the Winnipeg Free Press shares the story.
“When the defendant (Kane) attempted to walk away, the plaintiff (Makievsky) said ‘Let’s go’ and suggested the defendant should engage in a physical fight with him,” the statement of defense reads.
That would seem to be unwise to challenge a NHL player to a fight, especially a guy who has some highlight knockouts on his record.
Kane said he turned down the invitation to fight and kept walking. He then said Makievsky “charged” at him swinging his fists. Rather than get punched, Kane admitted to punching him three times in self defense. Kane then added Makievsky got up and took another swing at him before he pushed him to the ground and left the scene.
Kane had to provide a statement of defense in order to challenge the lawsuit. A hearing date hasn’t been set.
As for Makievsky, he said he was jumped by Kane. He’s suing Kane for physical damages suffered and to recover money from medical treatment.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 73
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (145)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (73)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)