Jun 12, 2014, 6:34 PM EDT
According to the statement of defense Kane admitted to a British Columbia court, he says the plaintiff, Les Makievsky, was aggressively confrontational with him and led to the incident. Mike McIntyre of the Winnipeg Free Press shares the story.
“When the defendant (Kane) attempted to walk away, the plaintiff (Makievsky) said ‘Let’s go’ and suggested the defendant should engage in a physical fight with him,” the statement of defense reads.
That would seem to be unwise to challenge a NHL player to a fight, especially a guy who has some highlight knockouts on his record.
Kane said he turned down the invitation to fight and kept walking. He then said Makievsky “charged” at him swinging his fists. Rather than get punched, Kane admitted to punching him three times in self defense. Kane then added Makievsky got up and took another swing at him before he pushed him to the ground and left the scene.
Kane had to provide a statement of defense in order to challenge the lawsuit. A hearing date hasn’t been set.
As for Makievsky, he said he was jumped by Kane. He’s suing Kane for physical damages suffered and to recover money from medical treatment.
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 33
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 23
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 66
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 53
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (66)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)