Jun 12, 2014, 6:34 PM EDT
According to the statement of defense Kane admitted to a British Columbia court, he says the plaintiff, Les Makievsky, was aggressively confrontational with him and led to the incident. Mike McIntyre of the Winnipeg Free Press shares the story.
“When the defendant (Kane) attempted to walk away, the plaintiff (Makievsky) said ‘Let’s go’ and suggested the defendant should engage in a physical fight with him,” the statement of defense reads.
That would seem to be unwise to challenge a NHL player to a fight, especially a guy who has some highlight knockouts on his record.
Kane said he turned down the invitation to fight and kept walking. He then said Makievsky “charged” at him swinging his fists. Rather than get punched, Kane admitted to punching him three times in self defense. Kane then added Makievsky got up and took another swing at him before he pushed him to the ground and left the scene.
Kane had to provide a statement of defense in order to challenge the lawsuit. A hearing date hasn’t been set.
As for Makievsky, he said he was jumped by Kane. He’s suing Kane for physical damages suffered and to recover money from medical treatment.
- Lightning’s Vasilevskiy out 2-3 months after getting blood clot removed 2
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 23
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 20
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)