Jun 12, 2014, 4:07 PM EDT
Columbus Blue Jackets forward Ryan Johansen had a breakout season scoring 33 goals with 63 points. This summer he’s a restricted free agent and that means teams might pitch an offer sheet in the direction of the 21-year-old.
Jackets GM Jarmo Kekalainen wants other GMs to know they’re making a mistake if they do that as Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch shared.
“If he signs an offer sheet, he signs an offer sheet,” Kekalainen said. “Our ownership is strong, and as I said before, we would match any offer he could possibly sign. If somebody wants to waste their time and effort on that, that’s fine for them. We’d just match it and keep the player.”
It’s not uncommon for a general manager to threaten doom when it comes to their RFAs. As it is he’s never been worried about keeping Johansen, but it makes plenty of sense for Kekalainen to warn others away.
The Jackets have been grooming Johansen patiently and the time they put in paid off in a big way this season. After all, Johansen was the team’s first-round pick (fourth overall) in 2010. Watching him become the main man on the team this year is what they’ve been waiting for. They’ll do whatever it takes to keep him in a Columbus sweater.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 6
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 33
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 55
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)