Jun 12, 2014, 4:07 PM EDT
Columbus Blue Jackets forward Ryan Johansen had a breakout season scoring 33 goals with 63 points. This summer he’s a restricted free agent and that means teams might pitch an offer sheet in the direction of the 21-year-old.
Jackets GM Jarmo Kekalainen wants other GMs to know they’re making a mistake if they do that as Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch shared.
“If he signs an offer sheet, he signs an offer sheet,” Kekalainen said. “Our ownership is strong, and as I said before, we would match any offer he could possibly sign. If somebody wants to waste their time and effort on that, that’s fine for them. We’d just match it and keep the player.”
It’s not uncommon for a general manager to threaten doom when it comes to their RFAs. As it is he’s never been worried about keeping Johansen, but it makes plenty of sense for Kekalainen to warn others away.
The Jackets have been grooming Johansen patiently and the time they put in paid off in a big way this season. After all, Johansen was the team’s first-round pick (fourth overall) in 2010. Watching him become the main man on the team this year is what they’ve been waiting for. They’ll do whatever it takes to keep him in a Columbus sweater.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 36
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)