Jun 11, 2014, 5:20 PM EDT
NEW YORK — The NHL would like to “bring alive again” a rule that’s already in the rulebook, with some slight alterations, in an attempt to reduce the amount of embellishing in the game.
The league’s director of hockey operations, Colin Campbell, shared the plan today in a New York hotel after the general managers had finished meeting prior to Game 4 of the Stanley Cup Final.
“We have a process in place that we approached the GMs with, and we also asked the players’ association to consider,” said Campbell.
“There’s a rule in the rulebook already that we haven’t used for the last few years that we’d like to bring alive again, for lack of a better term, but without the game suspension and just a series of fines, a warning the first time, and a series of fines after that if the same player embellishes. It would be by video review from our office.
“There’s also an element that we would probably add a fine to the coach/organization after so many embellishments to a team. And it’s something the players’ association are going back and asking their people, and something we have to run by the board. But it got a lot of traction, a lot of support from the managers that embellishment is going too far in our league and we have to attack it again.”
Campbell added: “It’s not about taking a player out of the game. It’s about making everyone aware that this player does embellish. And more than that, it’s about the players that don’t embellish that ask the question, ‘Should I start embellishing now because I’m on an uneven playing field here.'”
Related: Embellishment is ‘out of control’
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)