Jun 11, 2014, 5:20 PM EST
NEW YORK — The NHL would like to “bring alive again” a rule that’s already in the rulebook, with some slight alterations, in an attempt to reduce the amount of embellishing in the game.
The league’s director of hockey operations, Colin Campbell, shared the plan today in a New York hotel after the general managers had finished meeting prior to Game 4 of the Stanley Cup Final.
“We have a process in place that we approached the GMs with, and we also asked the players’ association to consider,” said Campbell.
“There’s a rule in the rulebook already that we haven’t used for the last few years that we’d like to bring alive again, for lack of a better term, but without the game suspension and just a series of fines, a warning the first time, and a series of fines after that if the same player embellishes. It would be by video review from our office.
“There’s also an element that we would probably add a fine to the coach/organization after so many embellishments to a team. And it’s something the players’ association are going back and asking their people, and something we have to run by the board. But it got a lot of traction, a lot of support from the managers that embellishment is going too far in our league and we have to attack it again.”
Campbell added: “It’s not about taking a player out of the game. It’s about making everyone aware that this player does embellish. And more than that, it’s about the players that don’t embellish that ask the question, ‘Should I start embellishing now because I’m on an uneven playing field here.'”
Related: Embellishment is ‘out of control’
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 2
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 6
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 2
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 24
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)