Jun 11, 2014, 5:02 PM EDT
Given that Los Angeles won the Stanley Cup in 2012, most of the current Kings can lean on their past experiences to stay level-headed just one win away from another championship.
Rookie Tyler Toffoli doesn’t have that luxury. This is all new to the 22-year-old forward and while that hasn’t stopped him from contributing throughout the postseason, he can’t help but be giddy this close to fulfilling his dreams.
“I fell asleep at 9 [on Tuesday night], woke up at 12 and then didn’t fall back asleep ’til about 3,” Toffoli said, per NHL.com. “I was excited. There was a lot of thoughts going through my mind. But today, it’s all business. You’ve got to be focused and ready for the big task at hand.”
Toffoli admitted that he’s leaning on those that have been in this situation before to help him keep his nerves in check. It should help that when he steps onto the ice tonight, it will often be with 29-year-old Jeff Carter.
Toffoli probably won’t need to be the hero for the Kings tonight, but he’s already done more than they likely hoped for going into the playoffs. If he raises the Cup, it will be because he earned the right.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 35
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 11
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 25
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)