Jun 11, 2014, 5:02 PM EST
Given that Los Angeles won the Stanley Cup in 2012, most of the current Kings can lean on their past experiences to stay level-headed just one win away from another championship.
Rookie Tyler Toffoli doesn’t have that luxury. This is all new to the 22-year-old forward and while that hasn’t stopped him from contributing throughout the postseason, he can’t help but be giddy this close to fulfilling his dreams.
“I fell asleep at 9 [on Tuesday night], woke up at 12 and then didn’t fall back asleep ’til about 3,” Toffoli said, per NHL.com. “I was excited. There was a lot of thoughts going through my mind. But today, it’s all business. You’ve got to be focused and ready for the big task at hand.”
Toffoli admitted that he’s leaning on those that have been in this situation before to help him keep his nerves in check. It should help that when he steps onto the ice tonight, it will often be with 29-year-old Jeff Carter.
Toffoli probably won’t need to be the hero for the Kings tonight, but he’s already done more than they likely hoped for going into the playoffs. If he raises the Cup, it will be because he earned the right.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)