Jun 11, 2014, 5:58 PM EDT
Ottawa Senators captain Jason Spezza‘s name pops up in trade rumors pretty regularly these days, but it sounds like he might have given his team the go-ahead to move him this summer. At least, that’s what Senators GM Bryan Murray is saying.
Murray confirmed on Wednesday that Spezza asked for a trade, even if it sounds like he doesn’t want to move the talented playmaker.
“There are a few teams that have asked me about him, what the cost is. I suggested at least we’ll have discussions,” Murray said. “I don’t want to trade the guy, really, and I know I won’t get the value, in all likelihood that I should get for him. But I think that Jason feels maybe there’s a change that he would like to have happen, and if that’s the case we’ll try to do what we can.”
If a trade happens, it might take a while. Murray said that a move isn’t likely to happen for a “few weeks.” Beyond that, Murray made it pretty clear that the Senators would prefer to trade him out of the Atlantic Division, if not out of the Eastern Conference altogether.
There has been plenty of speculation about the 30-year-old being moved, yet this is the first time the team or player have acknowledged them as true.
Murray shot down rumors around the trade deadline in March, yet Senators owner Eugene Melnyk thrust Spezza’s name back into the rumor mill in April after the season was over. A little less than a month ago, there were rumblings about the St. Louis Blues being high on the list of teams he’d be interested in joining via a trade.
If you want more details, it appears that Spezza feels as if he’s too often a scapegoat in Ottawa.
Spezza experienced a frustrating 2013-14 season despite scoring 23 goals and 66 points in 75 games.
With a reported maximum of five teams interested and only as many as three showing “serious” interest, it’s understandable that Murray is worried about getting proper value for Spezza.
Oct 24, 2014, 6:32 PM EDT
Tough times lately for St. Louis.
Oct 24, 2014, 5:47 PM EDT
Highly-touted rearguard on his way to the bigs.
Oct 24, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Hey, maybe the NHL should try 3-on-3 overtime.
Oct 24, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT
Speaking from experience.
Oct 24, 2014, 3:55 PM EDT
Returns to the Cardiff team he played for during the lockout.
Oct 24, 2014, 3:32 PM EDT
All the news and notes from the blue paint…
Oct 24, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT
“Anytime you go personal with family…to me, that’s very disrespectful to the player and our profession.”
Oct 24, 2014, 2:22 PM EDT
“Everybody understands the system, everybody knows what we expect.”
Oct 24, 2014, 2:08 PM EDT
“We’ve got to do our research here and come up with the best solution we can.”
Oct 24, 2014, 1:18 PM EDT
They’re back at it in Edmonton tonight.
Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’
Oct 24, 2014, 1:01 PM EDT
Denials from NHL and Coyotes.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:33 PM EDT
“I’m going to focus on the good and try to clean up the bad parts. That’s my job.”
Oct 24, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT
Click to see Boston’s schedule through the end of November.
Oct 24, 2014, 11:27 AM EDT
Oct 24, 2014, 11:13 AM EDT
Retroactive to Oct. 21.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:59 AM EDT
“We’ve given up more odd-man rushes in six hockey games than we did in two months last year.”
Oct 24, 2014, 10:54 AM EDT
“Talks are open-ended.”
Oct 24, 2014, 9:46 AM EDT
Boston attempts to fill hole left by Chara.
Oct 24, 2014, 9:06 AM EDT
The Wild center becomes a restricted free agent after this season.
Oct 24, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
With time off in Calgary, players participate in team building event.
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 2
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 24
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 19
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 18
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 14
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)