Jun 11, 2014, 7:47 PM EDT
Hey, remember that report like two days ago that said a coach’s challenge was likely to be instituted for next season?
Yeah, that was probably premature.
“There’s merit to it,” said Coyotes general manager Don Maloney after meeting with his counterparts today in New York. “It seems to make sense. But our game is not like football or baseball. There are seven or eight minutes of continuous action in our game where in other sports there are seven seconds of action and then there is a stoppage. The hard part for us is defining the criteria, when it can be used and how it can be used without destroying the flow of the game.”
To illustrate, consider this potential example: A goal is scored after five minutes of whistle-free action. But hey, 30 seconds into the five minutes, it sure did look like there was an offside. Could a coach challenge that? Or, could he only go back 30 seconds? Or, could he not go beyond the last possession? And if he could challenge it, would they then have to put 4:30 back on the clock if the goal was overturned?
And what if instead of offside, it was a hand pass? Or an illegal line change? Or, uh, somebody didn’t have their jersey tucked in properly? Could those be challenged?
“It’s defining the areas and defining the criteria,” said Maloney, “That’s when it gets muddy, and that’s where we’re at right now.”
Bottom line: there’s support for a coach’s challenge and, by extension, more video replay. It’s just the details they haven’t hammered out yet.
Maybe by next year.
Peter Chiarelli sounded very confident that coach's challenge will be instituted at some point, but not this coming year.—
Amalie Benjamin (@AmalieBenjamin) June 11, 2014
Can we all agree that it's coach's challenge? Not coaches challenge. Or coaches' challenge. One coach. Who possesses a challenge.—
Jason Brough (@JasonPHT) March 10, 2014
- It’s Ottawa Senators day on PHT 0
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 11
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55