Jun 11, 2014, 7:47 PM EDT
Hey, remember that report like two days ago that said a coach’s challenge was likely to be instituted for next season?
Yeah, that was probably premature.
“There’s merit to it,” said Coyotes general manager Don Maloney after meeting with his counterparts today in New York. “It seems to make sense. But our game is not like football or baseball. There are seven or eight minutes of continuous action in our game where in other sports there are seven seconds of action and then there is a stoppage. The hard part for us is defining the criteria, when it can be used and how it can be used without destroying the flow of the game.”
To illustrate, consider this potential example: A goal is scored after five minutes of whistle-free action. But hey, 30 seconds into the five minutes, it sure did look like there was an offside. Could a coach challenge that? Or, could he only go back 30 seconds? Or, could he not go beyond the last possession? And if he could challenge it, would they then have to put 4:30 back on the clock if the goal was overturned?
And what if instead of offside, it was a hand pass? Or an illegal line change? Or, uh, somebody didn’t have their jersey tucked in properly? Could those be challenged?
“It’s defining the areas and defining the criteria,” said Maloney, “That’s when it gets muddy, and that’s where we’re at right now.”
Bottom line: there’s support for a coach’s challenge and, by extension, more video replay. It’s just the details they haven’t hammered out yet.
Maybe by next year.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 23
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 28
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)