Jun 11, 2014, 4:11 PM EST
The last player to lead the New York Rangers to the Stanley Cup was Mark Messier back in 1994. He didn’t have to overcome a 3-0 series deficit to do it, but if he did find himself as the team captain today, he would be telling them to make sure they didn’t have any reason to go home with regrets.
“I’d trust that we’ve got to this point for a reason because we’re a good team,” Messier said while on the Dan Patrick Show.
He added that the Rangers need to crowd Kings goaltender Jonathan Quick as much as possible because he will stop almost every shot he can see.
The Rangers have gotten this far without a captain as they traded Ryan Callahan at the deadline and didn’t hand anyone else the ‘C’, but they realize that many of them might not get another opportunity to play in the Stanley Cup Final, so they can’t afford to concede this series to the Kings until it’s over.
If you’re interested in the rest of Messier’s interview, which also includes him reflecting on his career, the championships he won, and how he feels he measured up against the greats of his era, you can watch it below:
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 6
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 6
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 0
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 2
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 10
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 18
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers face Red Wings on Rivalry Night 13
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 8
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 10
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)