Jun 11, 2014, 4:11 PM EST
The last player to lead the New York Rangers to the Stanley Cup was Mark Messier back in 1994. He didn’t have to overcome a 3-0 series deficit to do it, but if he did find himself as the team captain today, he would be telling them to make sure they didn’t have any reason to go home with regrets.
“I’d trust that we’ve got to this point for a reason because we’re a good team,” Messier said while on the Dan Patrick Show.
He added that the Rangers need to crowd Kings goaltender Jonathan Quick as much as possible because he will stop almost every shot he can see.
The Rangers have gotten this far without a captain as they traded Ryan Callahan at the deadline and didn’t hand anyone else the ‘C’, but they realize that many of them might not get another opportunity to play in the Stanley Cup Final, so they can’t afford to concede this series to the Kings until it’s over.
If you’re interested in the rest of Messier’s interview, which also includes him reflecting on his career, the championships he won, and how he feels he measured up against the greats of his era, you can watch it below:
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 5
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 6
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 73
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (73)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)