Jun 11, 2014, 4:11 PM EDT
The last player to lead the New York Rangers to the Stanley Cup was Mark Messier back in 1994. He didn’t have to overcome a 3-0 series deficit to do it, but if he did find himself as the team captain today, he would be telling them to make sure they didn’t have any reason to go home with regrets.
“I’d trust that we’ve got to this point for a reason because we’re a good team,” Messier said while on the Dan Patrick Show.
He added that the Rangers need to crowd Kings goaltender Jonathan Quick as much as possible because he will stop almost every shot he can see.
The Rangers have gotten this far without a captain as they traded Ryan Callahan at the deadline and didn’t hand anyone else the ‘C’, but they realize that many of them might not get another opportunity to play in the Stanley Cup Final, so they can’t afford to concede this series to the Kings until it’s over.
If you’re interested in the rest of Messier’s interview, which also includes him reflecting on his career, the championships he won, and how he feels he measured up against the greats of his era, you can watch it below:
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)