Jun 11, 2014, 9:23 AM EST
There are going to be a lot of familiar last names at the 2014 NHL Draft, but one of them might pop up for a familiar team.
Barrie Colts forward Brendan Lemieux is of interest to the Colorado Avalanche. Brendan’s father, Claude, has a bit of history with the franchise as he was part of the 1996 Stanley Cup-winning team.
As Mike Chambers of The Denver Post writes, Claude’s connections with former teammates Patrick Roy and Joe Sakic might help lead to Brendan putting on an Avalanche sweater in Philadelphia.
“Whether it’s my dad’s relationship with Patrick or my relationship with Patrick, they’re not going to base their decision around that,” Brendan Lemieux said Tuesday. “It’s bigger business nowadays, and I know they’ll draft the best player available and what they need. I’m looking forward to whichever team picks me, but if I go to Colorado at No. 23, I won’t be disappointed at all. It will be a dream.”
Brendan is the 28th-best North American skater according to NHL Central Scouting. He had 27 goals and 53 points in Barrie this season and was a teammate of potential top pick, defenseman Aaron Ekblad.
The possibilities of seeing Claude’s son land on a team he’s got history with are juicy. Obviously the Avalanche connections are there, but with New Jersey and Montreal picking late in Round 1, seeing him chosen by them makes for a great story as well.
You don’t suppose the Detroit Red Wings might be interested if he slips into the second-round, do you?
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 40
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 40
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 12
- Trade: Montreal acquires Petry from Edmonton for two draft picks 21
- Bruins acquire Connolly from the Lightning for draft picks (Confirmed) 32
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 69
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (157)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)