Jun 11, 2014, 9:23 AM EDT
There are going to be a lot of familiar last names at the 2014 NHL Draft, but one of them might pop up for a familiar team.
Barrie Colts forward Brendan Lemieux is of interest to the Colorado Avalanche. Brendan’s father, Claude, has a bit of history with the franchise as he was part of the 1996 Stanley Cup-winning team.
As Mike Chambers of The Denver Post writes, Claude’s connections with former teammates Patrick Roy and Joe Sakic might help lead to Brendan putting on an Avalanche sweater in Philadelphia.
“Whether it’s my dad’s relationship with Patrick or my relationship with Patrick, they’re not going to base their decision around that,” Brendan Lemieux said Tuesday. “It’s bigger business nowadays, and I know they’ll draft the best player available and what they need. I’m looking forward to whichever team picks me, but if I go to Colorado at No. 23, I won’t be disappointed at all. It will be a dream.”
Brendan is the 28th-best North American skater according to NHL Central Scouting. He had 27 goals and 53 points in Barrie this season and was a teammate of potential top pick, defenseman Aaron Ekblad.
The possibilities of seeing Claude’s son land on a team he’s got history with are juicy. Obviously the Avalanche connections are there, but with New Jersey and Montreal picking late in Round 1, seeing him chosen by them makes for a great story as well.
You don’t suppose the Detroit Red Wings might be interested if he slips into the second-round, do you?
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 5
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 29
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)