Jun 11, 2014, 1:29 PM EST
When a team finds itself down 3-0 in a series, you’ll usually hear the players talk about their focus on winning just one game. That’s partially because they need to make their task smaller in the face of overwhelming odds, but getting that first victory can also swing the momentum in your favor.
Drew Doughty realizes that because that’s what happened in the Los Angeles Kings’ first round against the San Jose Sharks.
“Once we won that first game of the San Jose series, we kind of had a feeling we were going to come back and win that series,” Doughty said. “And you could see it in their eyes and their team and their captains and leaders that they were worried about us coming back.
“So we don’t want to give these guys any life.”
The Kings have proven that they can bounce back after the Rangers claim an early lead, but it will still be particularly important for the Kings to score the first goal tonight. Anything the Rangers can latch onto as a source of hope could be potentially problematic for the Kings.
Because while the odds are heavily stacked in their favor, they know that last victory isn’t merely a formality.
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 2
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 7
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 77
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 42
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 77
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (80)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (77)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)