Jun 11, 2014, 1:29 PM EST
When a team finds itself down 3-0 in a series, you’ll usually hear the players talk about their focus on winning just one game. That’s partially because they need to make their task smaller in the face of overwhelming odds, but getting that first victory can also swing the momentum in your favor.
Drew Doughty realizes that because that’s what happened in the Los Angeles Kings’ first round against the San Jose Sharks.
“Once we won that first game of the San Jose series, we kind of had a feeling we were going to come back and win that series,” Doughty said. “And you could see it in their eyes and their team and their captains and leaders that they were worried about us coming back.
“So we don’t want to give these guys any life.”
The Kings have proven that they can bounce back after the Rangers claim an early lead, but it will still be particularly important for the Kings to score the first goal tonight. Anything the Rangers can latch onto as a source of hope could be potentially problematic for the Kings.
Because while the odds are heavily stacked in their favor, they know that last victory isn’t merely a formality.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 29
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)