Jun 11, 2014, 12:30 AM EDT
He scored the goal that may have broken the New York Rangers.
Dustin Brown gave the L.A. Kings a win in Game 2 with the goal in double overtime, pushing the team he captains to within two wins of the Stanley Cup.
The series shifted back to New York, and, after a win in Game 3, the Kings can clinch the silver chalice on Wednesday. If L.A. wins this series, it will mark the second time in three years Brown will lift the Stanley Cup. The Kings have four players at the top of scoring in the post-season, and Brown isn’t one of them.
That said, the 29-year-old hard-hitting winger does have five goals and 13 points. But he’s been used on the penalty kill and power play, and leads the team in hits with 118, a total of 28 ahead of his next closest teammate. He’s been able to contribute in many different areas, even after a slow start to the post-season for both player and team – Brown had zero points in L.A.’s first three playoff games, which were all losses to the San Jose Sharks.
“I think both playoff runs, playoff games you see what Dustin Brown is all about, the physicality, his attitude. He can make plays. He can be on the power play, penalty kill,” Kings forward Jarret Stoll told reporters.
“Sometimes he’s a quiet guy, but he leads by example, he leads on the ice, which is probably the most important part of leading anybody, any team.
“Yeah, he does a lot for our team. He sets the tone in any game he plays, whether it’s physically or making a play or scoring a big goal, he can do all those things.”
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 91
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32