Jun 11, 2014, 12:30 AM EST
He scored the goal that may have broken the New York Rangers.
Dustin Brown gave the L.A. Kings a win in Game 2 with the goal in double overtime, pushing the team he captains to within two wins of the Stanley Cup.
The series shifted back to New York, and, after a win in Game 3, the Kings can clinch the silver chalice on Wednesday. If L.A. wins this series, it will mark the second time in three years Brown will lift the Stanley Cup. The Kings have four players at the top of scoring in the post-season, and Brown isn’t one of them.
That said, the 29-year-old hard-hitting winger does have five goals and 13 points. But he’s been used on the penalty kill and power play, and leads the team in hits with 118, a total of 28 ahead of his next closest teammate. He’s been able to contribute in many different areas, even after a slow start to the post-season for both player and team – Brown had zero points in L.A.’s first three playoff games, which were all losses to the San Jose Sharks.
“I think both playoff runs, playoff games you see what Dustin Brown is all about, the physicality, his attitude. He can make plays. He can be on the power play, penalty kill,” Kings forward Jarret Stoll told reporters.
“Sometimes he’s a quiet guy, but he leads by example, he leads on the ice, which is probably the most important part of leading anybody, any team.
“Yeah, he does a lot for our team. He sets the tone in any game he plays, whether it’s physically or making a play or scoring a big goal, he can do all those things.”
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 27
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 3
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 57
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)