Jun 11, 2014, 2:30 PM EST
With just a couple weeks remaining before the 2014 NHL Entry Draft, the Phoenix Coyotes have announced that Tim Bernhardt will serve as the team’s director of amateur scouting.
It’s a role he’s very familiar with as he worked in that capacity for the Dallas Stars from 1998 to 2011.
“The thing about the draft is you’re not always going to mine gold in the first round,” Bernhardt said, per the Coyotes’ website. “You’re going to have your misses there … but the key is the body of work and to try to work through seven rounds of the draft because there are players there and you just have to find them. That’s what we did in Dallas and that’s what I’m most proud of.”
The closest Bernhardt ever came to drafting a star in the first round was arguably his selection of defenseman Matt Niskanen with the 28th overall pick in 2005, but he did take a number of great players in later rounds, including Mike Smith (2001, fifth round), Jussi Jokinen (2001, sixth round), Loui Eriksson (2003, second round), James Neal (2005, second round), and Jamie Benn (2007, fifth round).
That’s an area the Coyotes need to improve on. Through the 2009 NHL Entry Draft, Phoenix has taken no players after the first round that have gone on to play in at least 30 NHL games. On top of that, Michael Stone is their only second round pick or later through the 2006 draft that’s participated in at least 100 NHL contests.
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 0
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 35
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)