Jun 11, 2014, 11:52 AM EST
NEW YORK — Even though his New York Rangers could be swept in the Stanley Cup Final tonight at Madison Square Garden, coach Alain Vigneault was in a good mood this morning.
Certainly, it was better than the mood he was in yesterday, when he asked reporters to excuse his players if they weren’t “real cheery” the day after they’d fallen behind the Los Angeles Kings, 3-0, with a tremendously disappointing loss on home ice.
“I didn’t think anybody would be making cartwheels yesterday,” Vigneault said this morning. “Today, we’re back at work. We had a good meeting this morning. We’re getting ready for a good hockey game tonight.”
The coach even ended his media availability with a joke: “I had my Netflix imitation for you guys today. Nobody asked.”
Not surprisingly, the Rangers are also trying to take inspiration from their opponents, who earlier in the playoffs fought back from a 3-0 series deficit to defeat the San Jose Sharks in seven games. Not to mention, New York had its own big comeback this postseason, battling back to beat Pittsburgh after trailing 3-1.
“We know it can be done,” said defenseman Kevin Klein. “It’s been done before. I don’t know if it’s been done before in the Stanley Cup finals*, but it’s one of those things where you know it can be done.
“Right now our focus is on this game. You take it one game by game like we did against Pittsburgh and we managed to come back from a 3-1 deficit, so we know it’s possible.”
*Once, by the 1942 Maple Leafs.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 7
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 13
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 23
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 22
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)