Jun 11, 2014, 11:52 AM EST
NEW YORK — Even though his New York Rangers could be swept in the Stanley Cup Final tonight at Madison Square Garden, coach Alain Vigneault was in a good mood this morning.
Certainly, it was better than the mood he was in yesterday, when he asked reporters to excuse his players if they weren’t “real cheery” the day after they’d fallen behind the Los Angeles Kings, 3-0, with a tremendously disappointing loss on home ice.
“I didn’t think anybody would be making cartwheels yesterday,” Vigneault said this morning. “Today, we’re back at work. We had a good meeting this morning. We’re getting ready for a good hockey game tonight.”
The coach even ended his media availability with a joke: “I had my Netflix imitation for you guys today. Nobody asked.”
Not surprisingly, the Rangers are also trying to take inspiration from their opponents, who earlier in the playoffs fought back from a 3-0 series deficit to defeat the San Jose Sharks in seven games. Not to mention, New York had its own big comeback this postseason, battling back to beat Pittsburgh after trailing 3-1.
“We know it can be done,” said defenseman Kevin Klein. “It’s been done before. I don’t know if it’s been done before in the Stanley Cup finals*, but it’s one of those things where you know it can be done.
“Right now our focus is on this game. You take it one game by game like we did against Pittsburgh and we managed to come back from a 3-1 deficit, so we know it’s possible.”
*Once, by the 1942 Maple Leafs.
- PHT interviews Jim Nill, who’s ‘not surprised’ by Stars’ early-season struggles 0
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 3
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 8
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 22
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24