Jun 10, 2014, 11:36 AM EDT
Check PHT each weekday for the first four weeks of June for a new pending unrestricted free agent of the day. Today’s UFA of the Day is…
One of the bigger surprises of the trade deadline was that Cammalleri was not, in fact, traded by the Calgary Flames. It had seemed like an automatic, given the team’s lowly position in the standings and the veteran player’s contract status.
“It didn’t happen not for a lack of effort, not for a lack of moving the price,” said the acting general manager at the time, Brian Burke. “I’m comfortable we did everything we could do to move him short of giving him away. To me, the value of having him here for the rest of the season and the enhanced ability to maybe sign him to an extension was way preferable to giving him away for nothing.”
Cammalleri led the Flames with 26 goals in 2013-14. The 32-year-old winger has not played in the postseason since 2011 and has not won a Stanley Cup, so while he’s met with new GM Brad Treliving and the Flames do want to keep him, he may ultimately be loathe to re-sign with the rebuilding club.
Even Burke conceded after the deadline, “I’m sure Mike’s disappointed – not to be a Calgary Flame because he loves it here, but to go somewhere and get in some playoff hockey.”
Cammalleri is coming off a five-year, $30 million contract. His best season as an NHLer came in 2008-09, when he scored 39 goals for the Flames. He was also a big contributor during the Canadiens’ surprise playoff run in 2010, when he scored 13 times in 19 games.
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 0
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 2
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)