Jun 10, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT
The potential for NHL Draft deals that hockey fans covet is picking up.
According to comments from Leafs general manager Dave Nonis to the Toronto Sun, the Toronto Maple Leafs, with the eighth overall selection in the draft later this month, are looking to move up in the order.
A report from the same publication citing an unnamed source appeared on June 4, indicating the Leafs were trying to improve their position in the draft.
Interesting, because the Florida Panthers have been receiving offers for their first overall pick, which would definitely make things interesting prior to June 27.
“There are some players we rank higher and have interest in,” Nonis told the Toronto Sun.
“It’s a deep draft — that’s why you have four teams at the top open to trading down … We’re confident of getting a good player at No. 8 if we stay there.”
The comments Nonis made fall right in line with how Panthers general manager Dale Tallon said about the upcoming draft.
A lot of them are NHL-ready,” Tallon told the Sun Sentinel. “It’s a better draft than we thought based on what we saw in the spring. There’s a lot of good players in the first round and we should get two good players [at No. 1] and at 32. It’s exciting; we’ll do well.”
So, that’s something to ponder for the next few days and weeks.
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 0
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 7
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 69
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 63
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)