Jun 10, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT
The potential for NHL Draft deals that hockey fans covet is picking up.
According to comments from Leafs general manager Dave Nonis to the Toronto Sun, the Toronto Maple Leafs, with the eighth overall selection in the draft later this month, are looking to move up in the order.
A report from the same publication citing an unnamed source appeared on June 4, indicating the Leafs were trying to improve their position in the draft.
Interesting, because the Florida Panthers have been receiving offers for their first overall pick, which would definitely make things interesting prior to June 27.
“There are some players we rank higher and have interest in,” Nonis told the Toronto Sun.
“It’s a deep draft — that’s why you have four teams at the top open to trading down … We’re confident of getting a good player at No. 8 if we stay there.”
The comments Nonis made fall right in line with how Panthers general manager Dale Tallon said about the upcoming draft.
A lot of them are NHL-ready,” Tallon told the Sun Sentinel. “It’s a better draft than we thought based on what we saw in the spring. There’s a lot of good players in the first round and we should get two good players [at No. 1] and at 32. It’s exciting; we’ll do well.”
So, that’s something to ponder for the next few days and weeks.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)