Jun 10, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT
The potential for NHL Draft deals that hockey fans covet is picking up.
According to comments from Leafs general manager Dave Nonis to the Toronto Sun, the Toronto Maple Leafs, with the eighth overall selection in the draft later this month, are looking to move up in the order.
A report from the same publication citing an unnamed source appeared on June 4, indicating the Leafs were trying to improve their position in the draft.
Interesting, because the Florida Panthers have been receiving offers for their first overall pick, which would definitely make things interesting prior to June 27.
“There are some players we rank higher and have interest in,” Nonis told the Toronto Sun.
“It’s a deep draft — that’s why you have four teams at the top open to trading down … We’re confident of getting a good player at No. 8 if we stay there.”
The comments Nonis made fall right in line with how Panthers general manager Dale Tallon said about the upcoming draft.
A lot of them are NHL-ready,” Tallon told the Sun Sentinel. “It’s a better draft than we thought based on what we saw in the spring. There’s a lot of good players in the first round and we should get two good players [at No. 1] and at 32. It’s exciting; we’ll do well.”
So, that’s something to ponder for the next few days and weeks.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 21
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)