Jun 10, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT
The potential for NHL Draft deals that hockey fans covet is picking up.
According to comments from Leafs general manager Dave Nonis to the Toronto Sun, the Toronto Maple Leafs, with the eighth overall selection in the draft later this month, are looking to move up in the order.
A report from the same publication citing an unnamed source appeared on June 4, indicating the Leafs were trying to improve their position in the draft.
Interesting, because the Florida Panthers have been receiving offers for their first overall pick, which would definitely make things interesting prior to June 27.
“There are some players we rank higher and have interest in,” Nonis told the Toronto Sun.
“It’s a deep draft — that’s why you have four teams at the top open to trading down … We’re confident of getting a good player at No. 8 if we stay there.”
The comments Nonis made fall right in line with how Panthers general manager Dale Tallon said about the upcoming draft.
A lot of them are NHL-ready,” Tallon told the Sun Sentinel. “It’s a better draft than we thought based on what we saw in the spring. There’s a lot of good players in the first round and we should get two good players [at No. 1] and at 32. It’s exciting; we’ll do well.”
So, that’s something to ponder for the next few days and weeks.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 68
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 32
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 22
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)