Jun 10, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT
The potential for NHL Draft deals that hockey fans covet is picking up.
According to comments from Leafs general manager Dave Nonis to the Toronto Sun, the Toronto Maple Leafs, with the eighth overall selection in the draft later this month, are looking to move up in the order.
A report from the same publication citing an unnamed source appeared on June 4, indicating the Leafs were trying to improve their position in the draft.
Interesting, because the Florida Panthers have been receiving offers for their first overall pick, which would definitely make things interesting prior to June 27.
“There are some players we rank higher and have interest in,” Nonis told the Toronto Sun.
“It’s a deep draft — that’s why you have four teams at the top open to trading down … We’re confident of getting a good player at No. 8 if we stay there.”
The comments Nonis made fall right in line with how Panthers general manager Dale Tallon said about the upcoming draft.
A lot of them are NHL-ready,” Tallon told the Sun Sentinel. “It’s a better draft than we thought based on what we saw in the spring. There’s a lot of good players in the first round and we should get two good players [at No. 1] and at 32. It’s exciting; we’ll do well.”
So, that’s something to ponder for the next few days and weeks.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 10
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 55
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)