Jun 10, 2014, 6:18 PM EDT
Right when you think the San Jose Sharks’ first round collapse to the Los Angeles Kings couldn’t possibly come with worse news, it does.
Sharks GM Doug Wilson announced star center Logan Couture would be ready for the start of training camp after undergoing surgery for a broken hand. When did he hurt it? Wilson spilled the details in a statement released by the team.
“Last week, Logan underwent successful surgery to repair a hand injury suffered in a fight in Game Six of the Stanley Cup Playoffs against Mike Richards. The procedure went as expected and Logan will be ready for the start of training camp.”
According to HockeyFights.com, 63 percent of voters said Couture won that fight so it wasn’t totally in vain. Of course, the Sharks blew a 3-0 series lead to the Kings and lost in seven games. L.A. is now one win away from their second Stanley Cup in three seasons.
Coincidentally enough, Couture said he’d never be able to get over losing that series after being up 3-0. Having a broken hand to deal with because of it probably didn’t help his mindset.
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 32
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 16
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 52
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 10