Oddsmaker: Hynes favored as next Pittsburgh head coach

Jun 10, 2014, 11:23 AM EDT

Pittsburgh Penguins logo

According to online oddsmaker Bovada, John Hynes is the odds-on favorite to be the next head coach of the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Hynes, 39, is currently the coach of the Pens’ AHL affiliate in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, and will interview for the vacant head coaching gig next week — one of the first head coaching candidates identified by new GM Jim Rutherford.

As such, Bovada has listed Hynes at 2/1 (+200) to get the gig. The rest of the coaches in the mix?

Mike Keenan 5/2 (+250)

Willie Desjardins 4/1 (+400)

John Stevens 4/1 (+400)

Jeff Daniels 6/1 (+600)

Todd Nelson 6/1 (+600)

Ron Wilson 9/1 (+900)

Interesting to see a couple of new AHL coaching names surface in Jeff Daniels and Todd Nelson — Daniels currently works as the bench boss and GM of Carolina’s AHL affiliate in Charlotte, while Nelson is currently coaching Edmonton’s AHL affiliate in Oklahoma City.

As for Hynes, he’s certainly an interesting candidate, having coached at a number of different levels over the last decade — NCAA (Wisconsin), the US National Team Development Program, USA Hockey at both the U-18 and World Junior level and, of course, in the American League.

He’s also a product of the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton coaching tree.

The AHL club has enjoyed tremendous success sending bench bosses through to the NHL over the last 10-15 years. Todd Richards had the job before moving onto Minnesota and then Columbus; his successor was Byslma, who had the job for two years before jumping to the Penguins.

Bylsma’s successor, Todd Reirden, spent one year in WBS before moving to an assistant coaching gig with the Penguins, a job he still (tentatively) holds.

Other WBS coaches currently in the NHL include Wild bench boss Mike Yeo (who spent six seasons as an assistant) and Montreal’s Michel Therrien, who won the AHL’s Eastern Conference championship in 2004.

1. ravanator - Jun 10, 2014 at 11:55 AM

Doesn’t matter who they hire for their HC, he will not be able to stop destiny. The Pens are in decline and will continue to be irrelevant for many years. Ovi and the great Washington Capitals will sweep the Pens next season, and Ovi will hoist the cup at the end of the season. I have spoken. Cheers!

#steelcitymeltdown
    #youcan’tfightdestiny

• hockey412 - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:17 PM

I don’t know, man…for all of your efforts to respark some kind of rivalry or animosity amongst Pens fans for the Caps, it’s just not working. I just don’t care about them, at all. Even while I type this I feel apathetic. Kind of like Ovi on the backcheck.

• m1k3g - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:43 PM

“Kind of like Ovi on the backcheck.”

When I read that, I thought we were going to start talking about other mythical stuff, like Bigfoot or unicorns.

• kotteintheslot - Jun 10, 2014 at 3:15 PM

As a die hard Caps fan, that comment made me laugh…your statement, sadly…could not be more true….

• tk1966 - Jun 10, 2014 at 1:22 PM

It really has gotten to where I can’t wait for there to be a Penguins (or Steelers) article so I can see what comical rant Ravenator goes on! Some of his delusional rhetoric is hysterical! The funniest part is that I really think that he believes what he says!!

Thanks Ravenator for keeping us all entertained. Keep up the great work!!

• bobc74 - Jun 10, 2014 at 9:03 PM

Since we are talking about AHL coaching here, how well did those Hershey Bears do this year? They were hibernating instead of playing during the AHL playoffs, were they not?

• mangoman1966 - Jun 10, 2014 at 11:46 PM

The caps will never make another playoff in your sorry add lifetime let alone a cup.

2. spydey629 - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:32 PM

I’m going off the board. Rick Tocchet. He lives in the Burgh, he’s a former Pen, and he WANTS the job.

• illashell - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:46 PM

My choice as well.

• c9castine - Jun 10, 2014 at 1:01 PM

thats who i want.

forget these kosher types.

3. pitpenguinsrulez - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:35 PM

Ravanator you are such an assclown. Go back to trolling ProFootBallTalk about your boy Flacco.

• c9castine - Jun 10, 2014 at 1:02 PM

the world is in a confused state when joe flacco carries trolling weight

• pitpenguinsrulez - Jun 10, 2014 at 3:32 PM

I’ve seen him over the past two years brag about Flacco over Ben etc.

4. adamal17 - Jun 10, 2014 at 1:11 PM

I posted it on the last one when they said he was being interviewed; He would be a great choice. With how many man games the Pens lost during the year and how well their kids performed to keep the Pens in a top spot all year it would be a travesty if he didn’t get serious consideration. Just like the Wings did with our kids from Grand Rapids (Jeff Blashill as the coach…he will be an NHL coach within a year) the Pens were very impressive because of the coaching they got at the AHL level. And yes, Ravanator is a tool…who can’t even spell raven. If the Pens could get solid goaltending all year and through the playoffs they’d win the cup every year with their roster…on paper.

5. tk1966 - Jun 10, 2014 at 1:27 PM

Mike Keenan one of the favorites for the position? I think I just threw up in my mouth a little…

6. billiam55 - Jun 10, 2014 at 1:33 PM

TORTS

• theageofquarrel - Jun 10, 2014 at 2:11 PM

NEVER

7. tmoore4075 - Jun 10, 2014 at 2:35 PM

So is Madden going to come up with crazy theory of how the Pens will only be bringing him on for a year and they’d get Detroit to release Babcock and he’d be the next coach?

I know nothing about this guy but this seems to be the way the NHL is going, with the young guys. The problem in Pitt will be the pressure to win now. But can also look at the positive, he’s taking over a good team. A good young coach going to the leagues worst team can be just as bad. Not a Pens fans, but love seeing new blood in the league.

• pitpenguinsrulez - Jun 10, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Mark Madden is awesome. I want Babcock but I don’t see it happening at any point.

• tmoore4075 - Jun 11, 2014 at 1:06 PM

Did you read the article i’m talking about? Craziest crap I’ve ever read.

8. pdmjr - Jun 10, 2014 at 6:45 PM