Jun 10, 2014, 11:23 AM EDT
According to online oddsmaker Bovada, John Hynes is the odds-on favorite to be the next head coach of the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Hynes, 39, is currently the coach of the Pens’ AHL affiliate in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, and will interview for the vacant head coaching gig next week — one of the first head coaching candidates identified by new GM Jim Rutherford.
As such, Bovada has listed Hynes at 2/1 (+200) to get the gig. The rest of the coaches in the mix?
Mike Keenan 5/2 (+250)
Willie Desjardins 4/1 (+400)
John Stevens 4/1 (+400)
Jeff Daniels 6/1 (+600)
Todd Nelson 6/1 (+600)
Ron Wilson 9/1 (+900)
Interesting to see a couple of new AHL coaching names surface in Jeff Daniels and Todd Nelson — Daniels currently works as the bench boss and GM of Carolina’s AHL affiliate in Charlotte, while Nelson is currently coaching Edmonton’s AHL affiliate in Oklahoma City.
As for Hynes, he’s certainly an interesting candidate, having coached at a number of different levels over the last decade — NCAA (Wisconsin), the US National Team Development Program, USA Hockey at both the U-18 and World Junior level and, of course, in the American League.
He’s also a product of the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton coaching tree.
The AHL club has enjoyed tremendous success sending bench bosses through to the NHL over the last 10-15 years. Todd Richards had the job before moving onto Minnesota and then Columbus; his successor was Byslma, who had the job for two years before jumping to the Penguins.
Bylsma’s successor, Todd Reirden, spent one year in WBS before moving to an assistant coaching gig with the Penguins, a job he still (tentatively) holds.
Other WBS coaches currently in the NHL include Wild bench boss Mike Yeo (who spent six seasons as an assistant) and Montreal’s Michel Therrien, who won the AHL’s Eastern Conference championship in 2004.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 1
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 5
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 9
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 1
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)