Jun 9, 2014, 2:45 PM EDT
Check PHT each weekday for the first four weeks of June for a new pending unrestricted free agent of the day. Today’s UFA of the Day is…
The Toronto Maple Leafs had high hopes for Bolland when they acquired him from the Chicago Blackhawks in the summer of 2013.
Bolland came to the city as a two-time Stanley Cup winner that was commonly seen as a great third-line center thanks to his reputation for frustrating some of the best skilled forwards in the game, but Leafs GM Dave Nonis wanted to see him play a “more prominent role.”
That experiment never really got off the ground though because Bolland missed the bulk of the season with an ankle injury. By itself, that’s an unfortunate setback, but it’s also part of a troubling trend. Bolland has now missed more than a third of his regular season games over the last five years as he’s battled a variety of injuries.
Despite that, the 28-year-old is reportedly demanding an annual cap hit of around $5 million. He might end up getting that too as there aren’t many two-way centers still in their prime that are set to enter the free agent market.
New Leafs president Brendan Shanahan did call him “the type of player we need” and Bolland would like to spend the rest of his career in Toronto, so there’s definitely some mutual interest there. That asking price might result in him finding employment elsewhere though.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 32
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 13
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 90
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 17
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (90)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)