Jun 9, 2014, 2:45 PM EDT
Check PHT each weekday for the first four weeks of June for a new pending unrestricted free agent of the day. Today’s UFA of the Day is…
The Toronto Maple Leafs had high hopes for Bolland when they acquired him from the Chicago Blackhawks in the summer of 2013.
Bolland came to the city as a two-time Stanley Cup winner that was commonly seen as a great third-line center thanks to his reputation for frustrating some of the best skilled forwards in the game, but Leafs GM Dave Nonis wanted to see him play a “more prominent role.”
That experiment never really got off the ground though because Bolland missed the bulk of the season with an ankle injury. By itself, that’s an unfortunate setback, but it’s also part of a troubling trend. Bolland has now missed more than a third of his regular season games over the last five years as he’s battled a variety of injuries.
Despite that, the 28-year-old is reportedly demanding an annual cap hit of around $5 million. He might end up getting that too as there aren’t many two-way centers still in their prime that are set to enter the free agent market.
New Leafs president Brendan Shanahan did call him “the type of player we need” and Bolland would like to spend the rest of his career in Toronto, so there’s definitely some mutual interest there. That asking price might result in him finding employment elsewhere though.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)