Jun 9, 2014, 10:36 AM EDT
When we think back to where the New York Rangers were last season and where they’re at now in the Stanley Cup Final, Brad Richards‘ time in Manhattan sure has changed.
While he’s been instrumental to the Rangers success this season, just last year then head coach John Tortorella made Richards a healthy scratch against the Boston Bruins for Games 4 and 5 of New York’s second round loss to the Boston Bruins.
“It was the lowest point in my career,” Richards said prior to Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final. “You never want to be on the outside looking in when your teammates are battling in what I consider the best part of hockey — the playoffs.”
In these playoffs, Richards has five goals and 11 points in the Rangers’ 21 games. He’s far off the Conn Smythe Trophy-winning pace he had in 2004 with the Lightning, but his contributions have been big and coach Alain Vigneault has given him the opportunity to succeed.
Of course, even that success hasn’t killed talk of him possibly being bought out this summer, but that’s the nature of the business. For now, he’s happy to have the Rangers in the Cup Final and to have a shot at winning it all again.
- All eyes on Lundqvist 6
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 9
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 27
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)