Jun 9, 2014, 10:36 AM EDT
When we think back to where the New York Rangers were last season and where they’re at now in the Stanley Cup Final, Brad Richards‘ time in Manhattan sure has changed.
While he’s been instrumental to the Rangers success this season, just last year then head coach John Tortorella made Richards a healthy scratch against the Boston Bruins for Games 4 and 5 of New York’s second round loss to the Boston Bruins.
“It was the lowest point in my career,” Richards said prior to Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final. “You never want to be on the outside looking in when your teammates are battling in what I consider the best part of hockey — the playoffs.”
In these playoffs, Richards has five goals and 11 points in the Rangers’ 21 games. He’s far off the Conn Smythe Trophy-winning pace he had in 2004 with the Lightning, but his contributions have been big and coach Alain Vigneault has given him the opportunity to succeed.
Of course, even that success hasn’t killed talk of him possibly being bought out this summer, but that’s the nature of the business. For now, he’s happy to have the Rangers in the Cup Final and to have a shot at winning it all again.
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 0
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 19
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)