Jun 9, 2014, 11:14 PM EDT
The suddenly streaking Los Angeles Kings goalie stopped all 32 New York Rangers shots in Game 3 to help his team secure a 3-0 series lead in the 2014 Stanley Cup Final on Monday. For all the negative attention the Rangers are receiving for falling within a game of being swept, there’s also the fact that Quick is suddenly showing the form that helped him win the 2012 Conn Smythe Trophy.
The 28-year-old netminder hasn’t allowed a goal since Derick Brassard scored at the 14:50 mark of the second period of Game 2. He’s been able to shut down the Rangers through the third period and double-overtime in that contest and then blanked New York in Game 3.
To put it in simpler terms, Quick stopped the last 49 shots he’s faced. Not bad for a guy who allowed 4+ goals in four of five playoff games entering Monday’s contest.
Not surprisingly, Kings head coach Darryl Sutter described Game 3 as Quick’s best performance of the 2014 Stanley Cup Final. He now has nine career playoff shutouts.
Quick’s athleticism often stands out, especially on saves like these:
For his teammates, it’s par for the course:
Overall, the American-born goalie has been streaky more than anything else. Consider how he’s trended in this postseason:
Games 1-3 vs. San Jose: 16 goals allowed, three losses
Games 4-7 vs. San Jose: five goals allowed, four wins
Games 1-2 vs. Anaheim: three goals allowed, two wins
Games 3-5 vs. Anaheim: nine goals allowed, three losses
Games 6-7 vs. Anaheim: three goals allowed, two wins
Games 1-4 vs. Chicago: 10 goals allowed, three wins and one loss
Games 5-7 vs. Chicago: 13 goals allowed, one win and two losses
Games 1-3 vs. New York: six goals allowed, three wins
It hasn’t always been pretty for Quick in this playoff run, yet he’s been brilliant during the times when he’s been on the top of his game. The Rangers have to hope that they see the “other Quick” soon, as the goalie they saw during Game 3 looked almost unbeatable.
Sep 30, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
It appears that he needs to enter the 2015 NHL Draft.
Sep 30, 2014, 7:27 PM EDT
It looks like the transition from Charles Wang’s ownership will ramp up soon.
Sep 30, 2014, 7:13 PM EDT
What a difference injuries and a nearing regular season makes …
Sep 30, 2014, 6:40 PM EDT
He says the “progress has been really good.”
Sep 30, 2014, 5:28 PM EDT
Will this be another season to forget for Toronto?
Sep 30, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
Called him “the best defenseman on the ice.”
Sep 30, 2014, 4:12 PM EDT
Buffalo trims training camp roster to 30.
Sep 30, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
“We’ve got three games left here, so we really need to finalize what we’re going to do.”
Sep 30, 2014, 3:50 PM EDT
Both off to AHL Texas.
Sep 30, 2014, 3:17 PM EDT
“You don’t pay attention to that kind of stuff.”
Sep 30, 2014, 2:28 PM EDT
“I’m not naive, I know as the season goes on it’ll become more of a talking point.”
Sep 30, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
D-man was likely headed to AHL Utica.
Sep 30, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
Looks like both have avoided serious damage.
Sep 30, 2014, 1:02 PM EDT
And they open at home on Oct. 10.
Sep 30, 2014, 12:49 PM EDT
So says Lindy Ruff.
Sep 30, 2014, 11:57 AM EDT
Flyers captain will make preseason debut at Wells Fargo.
Sep 30, 2014, 11:46 AM EDT
Could either catch on with another team?
Sep 30, 2014, 11:39 AM EDT
Another draft bust leaves the organization.
Sep 30, 2014, 11:09 AM EDT
Defending Eastern Conference champs had some major turnover this summer.
Sep 30, 2014, 11:05 AM EDT
Good things like getting an assist in three straight games.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 1
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 11
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)