Jun 9, 2014, 12:54 PM EDT
And if they don’t know, head coach Alain Vigneault will remind them.
“I’m sure Brad, with his experience, knows that their whole line needs to be better,” Vigneault said during Monday’s media availability. “If you look at the stats on that night, it obviously wasn’t one of their better nights.”
Aside from St. Louis’ power-play marker (which came on assists from Derek Stepan and Chris Kreider), the unit was largely quiet on Saturday. Richards had an evening to forget, coughing up the puck via an ugly turnover on Jarret Stoll‘s early second-period goal while Hagelin, who was so effective in Game 1 by utilizing his speed and skating ability, didn’t match that same effectiveness level and was largely a non-factor, recording just two shots on net.
If the Rangers have any chance of getting back in this series, that’s going to have to change.
The trio has been highly effective throughout New York’s run to the Stanley Cup Final. St. Louis and Hagelin share the team goalscoring lead, with seven, while Richards has 11 points through 22 games and is one of the few Rangers to have won a championship during his career. As such, Vigneault is expecting the entire group to play much better in what amounts to a must-win game in Game 3.
“They’re veteran guys. They’ve been around,” Vigneault said. “They can evaluate their game real well. I’m sure they’re going to have a good bounce-back game tonight.”
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 11
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 33
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- Erik Haula signs two-year extension with Wild (35)