Jun 9, 2014, 12:54 PM EDT
And if they don’t know, head coach Alain Vigneault will remind them.
“I’m sure Brad, with his experience, knows that their whole line needs to be better,” Vigneault said during Monday’s media availability. “If you look at the stats on that night, it obviously wasn’t one of their better nights.”
Aside from St. Louis’ power-play marker (which came on assists from Derek Stepan and Chris Kreider), the unit was largely quiet on Saturday. Richards had an evening to forget, coughing up the puck via an ugly turnover on Jarret Stoll‘s early second-period goal while Hagelin, who was so effective in Game 1 by utilizing his speed and skating ability, didn’t match that same effectiveness level and was largely a non-factor, recording just two shots on net.
If the Rangers have any chance of getting back in this series, that’s going to have to change.
The trio has been highly effective throughout New York’s run to the Stanley Cup Final. St. Louis and Hagelin share the team goalscoring lead, with seven, while Richards has 11 points through 22 games and is one of the few Rangers to have won a championship during his career. As such, Vigneault is expecting the entire group to play much better in what amounts to a must-win game in Game 3.
“They’re veteran guys. They’ve been around,” Vigneault said. “They can evaluate their game real well. I’m sure they’re going to have a good bounce-back game tonight.”
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 18
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 30
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 32
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)